Setting the key range for note input via mouse clicks

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Why not allowing also mouse clicks for setting the input note range in the settings? For some scenarios, you have no direct input send your notes, but still want to use Synthesia, mouse clicking would easy things in such scenarios. Or allowing a standard input range by default, e.g. 24..108
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

On the desktop versions you can use a virtual keyboard program, like Bome's Mouse Keyboard, to make the keyboard settings as a workaround.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Yes, the question is, is this enough or allowing also mouse clicking inside Synthesia?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I've been on the fence about this for years.

It's always seemed a little strange that you're telling Synthesia "Yeah... my keyboard can totally play these notes... it just can't play them right now."

I'd like to hear which scenarios you had in mind where you don't have direct input of notes during device setup but you do during play.
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Nicholas wrote:I've been on the fence about this for years.

It's always seemed a little strange that you're telling Synthesia "Yeah... my keyboard can totally play these notes... it just can't play them right now."

I'd like to hear which scenarios you had in mind where you don't have direct input of notes during device setup but you do during play.
Well, almost correct what you have written, not "my keyboard" but "my note source" would be correct.

Scenario would be in simplified fun using Synthesia, via a tapping tool, e.g. Tapper. Then even children could use Synthesia, only by tapping, the better timing would get more points, the hitting correct notes problem would be solved by Tapper. Of course I can use some other tools for setting the range, but simple mouse clicking inside Synthesia would be easier, mainly for others. Not everybody is a midi guru. :lol:

Then a nice (local, offline) multi-player tournament management INSIDE Synthesia would be the perfect finish for this scenario. Until then I can use some external tournament manager, e.g. Sevilla.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

The scenario I think about is on the iPad version where someone might want to define the range for the touch keyboard.

Maybe this can also extend to allowing a computer keyboard user to define what notes the computer keys correspond to and allow a better match to a particular song. I've been surprised by the number of people who apparently play Synthesia seriously from a computer keyboard.

This might also have use for people who are previewing songs on a computer other than the one that is connected to their keyboard.
Jim Henry
TonE
Synthesia Donor

Post by TonE »

Btw. I am using this: http://www.granucon.com/SoftwarePages/Vms.aspx
As a Jomox Airbase-99 and JV-1080 user this is just great, maybe I should also buy an FS1R. Check also the Waldorf Pulse editor and AirTweaker, just great tools: http://www.granucon.com/SoftwarePages/Default.aspx
Great if you own already those synths.
Philolog65

Post by Philolog65 »

I have just bought my Microsoft Surface Pro and downloaded my favourite Synthesia for it - it's the moment I've been waiting for for so long after all these similar, but half-decent Android apps. Much to my chagrin, I saw that I couldn't play more notes than there were in a row of a keyboard... By the way, I didn't want to post it as a separate thread, but Nicholas, if you are reading this, are you planning to release synthesia as a separate Windows 8 app with multitouch support? The market of onscreen pianos for Win8 is virtually empty now and honestly speaking, I would buy this magnificent app again just to be able to play and practice midi files on my tablet.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

It should be possible to use something like Bome's Mouse Keyboard as a touch screen keyboard on the Surface Pro. Connect it to Synthesia with a virtual MIDI cable like LoopBe1.

It seems like a reasonable idea to make the Synthesia Touch Keyboard from the iPad version available in the "desktop" version. There are probably people who would enjoy playing the STK with a mouse, at which point Synthesia really seems like a video game more than a keyboard learning tool.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Multi-touch support on the desktop version is definitely planned. ("Desktop" is becoming a worse and worse term all the time with things like the Surface Pro running around.)

Now that all the hard work on multi-touch is already done, hooking into those other APIs (on Mac and PC) should be pretty easy. Multi-touch has actually been supported in Windows since Vista, so hopefully I'll be able to get things working on every supported OS except XP.