Old Request: Song Quantization

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Could you do a "technical debt" with Song Quantization?
Actual Song Quantization + No Song Quatization like in Synthesia 0.6.4.
Thanks
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I'm not sure I understood.

Do you mean you'd like to have quantization added, but also a way to disable it?

I'm pretty sure that's all specified in the "Song Quantization" feature on the voting list. It does mention being able to set a level, all the way down to "none".

Or, did you mean something else?
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Like I said sometimes before I don´t like the actual Song Quantization, because I can't use "Concurrent Chord Notes in Practice Mode" with several songs because the actual Song Quantization changes the song. Even if I use "No Concurrent Chord Notes in Practice Mode" I have problems to see what are exactly the keys to play to do it well the song.
If you made a search with the word "Quantization" you can see I´m not the only I have problems with this.
I don´t know how you have made the actual song Quantizacion, but maybe It´s a easy change or maybe it´s difficult. For example I thought a textbox was easy, but I thought this because I don´t know nothing about C++. If it´s difficult then forget this post, but if it´s easy think about it.
Thanks
Picasso: I am always doing that which I cannot do, in order that I may learn how to do it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Oh, *that* quantization. OK. I know what you're talking about now.

Instead of calling that quantization (because I don't move, reassign, or change the duration of the notes at all), I've considered it more as "input wiggle-room". There is a window of time where you're allowed to hit upcoming notes. In practice mode, that window is larger than rhythm (something like 0.5 seconds vs. 0.33, if I remember correctly)... but, if you "hit" a note and the song has to stop and wait for you, the concurrent chord thing tracks everything inside a smaller note window (still something like 0.25 seconds, I think).

Are you asking for a way to adjust the wiggle-room? Making it something like 0 seconds for perfectly-digitized songs, all the way up to something like 0.75 seconds for really, really sloppy live recordings?

That would take virtually no effort to make a little registry setting hack where you could just set the number yourself. (Like, easily added to this way-overdue release, even.)

I'm not sure what kind of ramifications that has on the score though... does making it easier or harder for the concurrent chord mechanism to "catch" mean there is an exploit? When I finally get the online scoreboard up and running, will some players be able to use that registry hack to their advantage?
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Yes, I was talking about this "input wiggle-room".
Nicholas wrote:Are you asking for a way to adjust the wiggle-room? Making it something like 0 seconds for perfectly-digitized songs, all the way up to something like 0.75 seconds for really, really sloppy live recordings?
I´m asking for a way to adjust the wiggle-room something like 0 seconds.
Nicholas wrote:I'm not sure what kind of ramifications that has on the score though... does making it easier or harder for the concurrent chord mechanism to "catch" mean there is an exploit? When I finally get the online scoreboard up and running, will some players be able to use that registry hack to their advantage?
I don´t know if someone can use that registry hack to their advantage, but I´m sure this "input wiggle-room" can change a song.
And this "problem" it´s going to be very popular with song with "quick notes". You can see some examples here:
Attachments
Dibujo34.png
Dibujo34.png (16.06 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
Dibujo33.png
Dibujo33.png (17.49 KiB) Viewed 8412 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Alright, that's tiny and a useful work-around for now. A registry hack will be in the next preview.

That's not super-convenient because it's really more of a per-song setting, but it should do for now until I get a chance to address it in a better way.
vicentefer31

Post by vicentefer31 »

Thank you
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

I have two suggestions about rhythm in Synthesia that were mentioned here 12 years ago:
- Having a slider for the wiggle room: a global parameter in the settings and a per song slider in the song menus,
because it would be great to have more freedom to play a piece of music.

- Conversely, having a feature to apply Quantization on the midi file, because it's unpleasant when the notes of a chord are not displayed at the same time. For now, I use Aria Maestosa to do this.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Instead of an arbitrary slider (that someone will always disagree is in the wrong position), my current favorite solution to this problem is score following.

It will transform the problem to essentially "play whichever speed you prefer, hitting notes whenever you like" and Synthesia should be able to handle it with aplomb. Now it's just a matter of getting down to that point on the task list. For now that item is after the entire Synthesia 11 list. :?

(12 years ago indeed. This is nearly one of the embarrassments.)
Hobbes

Post by Hobbes »

It will transform the problem to essentially "play whichever speed you prefer, hitting notes whenever you like" and Synthesia should be able to handle it with aplomb. Now it's just a matter of getting down to that point on the task list.
I really like this idea !
For now that item is after the entire Synthesia 11 list. :?
I'll wait 12 more years ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I super hope it doesn't take 12 more years! :lol: