Can I record the song in Synthesia?

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Xoco

Post by Xoco » 09-17-13 7:17 am

Can I record when I practise? my M-Audio KeyStudio 49 isn't output audio, is only midi output trough usb.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 09-17-13 6:58 pm

Synthesia doesn't record anything today, though it's a request that I hear pretty often.

I know Steve's PianoCheetah records each of your performances so you can review it later. That seems like a nice way to do it: always recording. MIDI is small enough that you could play 10 hours a day for weeks and not end up with more than a megabyte or two of data.

Another common feature request is to see your last performance overlaid on top of the song. That way you could see where you were early/late or didn't hold a note the right duration. If performances were saved, you could review or play back each performance whenever you like.

stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel » 09-17-13 8:10 pm

Well that's mighty neighborly of ya, pardner :)

Xoco

Post by Xoco » 09-20-13 7:55 am

Finally I record with Anvil Studio, export as .wav and convert to .mp3 with Free Studio Manager tools from DVDVideoSoft.

MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 » 10-12-13 1:59 pm

OK, I KNEW this feature had to have been requested before. Let me tell you how I'd like to use it.

I just sat down to fiddle around with Synthesia and the old Legend of Zelda theme song popped in my head. It's very simple... just an alternating bass line and a one note melody (as were most of those 8 bit video games.) My problem is that it's hard for me to play both hands right now. What I'd love to be able to do is record the left hand into Synthesia, then play it back and record the right hand into the same file. That way, when I play it back, I see both hands and can use Synthesia to develop my skills with both hands at the same time.

I can think of at least a dozen songs off the top of my head I'd like to learn this way (most of them old Nintendo songs.) An added bonus is that it could automatically label Right hand / Left hand notes that would be ideal for sharing with other Synthesia users.

Just a thought.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-12-13 3:43 pm

It sounds like you're looking for a MIDI sequencer. My favorite free editor is Sekaiju. Once you get the display language changed to English, it can do the process you just described from start to finish in nearly as few steps as it took you to explain it: hit record, play left hand, (rewind, create a 2nd track), hit record, play right hand, save.

MaxC246

Post by MaxC246 » 10-12-13 5:02 pm

So, would the iRig MIDI recording app work for this? I initially opted not to mess with that software, but maybe that's the way to go. I've kind of dedicated my iPad to my digital piano. I'd rather not have to use a separate device for recording.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-12-13 6:34 pm

I haven't spent that much time with it, but it might do the job. I'm not sure if it can handle multiple tracks though. That said, you might have some luck searching around the App Store for a MIDI sequencer that can.