Keep playing while dragging window

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead » 11-01-13 7:13 am

Let me first say that it's a great option being able to drag and resize the window. I'm using it to insert finger numbers to a song I'm practising (the popular Moon River) and I put the finger numbers in according to a tutorial video of the song.

Then I noticed that the song stopped playing while dragging the window to make room for the VLC media player. Just wondering if that's normal and if it has to do with event handling. From what I've learnt in programming, I've noticed that if one event (for example dragging the window) gets focus, other events often will have to be postponed, except of course you're using multiple threads.

Note: This is not a feature request, just decided to put my post here, assuming more people will read it. :D

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 11-02-13 1:39 am

Pianotehead wrote:Just wondering if that's normal and if it has to do with event handling.
Yeah, it looks like it's happening with both renderers on Windows. (Things proceed just fine during dragging in the Mac version. :lol: )

I could probably poke around in the event stuff (you called it: that's exactly where things are halting) and see what I can't improve. At the very least, even if freezing is acceptable, there shouldn't be any lost time when you release the mouse button. Right now the clock is still running during the drag and everything catches up all at once when you release. In either case, there is a bug there.

Pianotehead

Post by Pianotehead » 11-02-13 6:45 am

I hadn't noticed it before, that the song doesn't pick up at the time you started dragging, but at the time you started dragging, plus the time it took to move the window. At least we discovered a small bug.