Note identification exercises feature

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Birdman87

Post by Birdman87 »

Hello there,

I would like to have a customizable music sheet note identification feature like the one on musictheory.net integrated into synthesia, something like it shows you just the a random note or a combo of notes and you have to press the corresponding key on your midi keyboard, this would be massively helpful in learning sheet music blazing fast and have fun doing it too, maybe include some sort of leveling or reward system as you improve your sheet music skills.

Also something like identifying the played note by audio only and press the corresponding key on the keyboard to train your music ear would be a great benefit to any musician, this would be integrated in the same interface as the previous exercise.

There's lots of other exercises in musictheory that could be integrated but these two main ones would bring great benefits to us lazy ones out there who find it tedious to constantly check if the music sheet you are reading is correct not to mention time consuming. I have searched quite a but and can't find a software like this that lets you integrate your midi keyboard and play from it directly which greatly improves the learning process. There are a few super expensive ones that are not that great to being with but the eyecandy interface that synthesia has would make such exercises pure pleasure for any beginner. Please consider this or something similar to this.

Thank you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Ear training and musical drills would be nice to add some day. Until now Synthesia has been absolutely "practice a song"-centric.

One move in the right direction will be in the next development preview of Synthesia 10. There will be a new "Free Play" area where you can tinker around with MIDI instruments and a handful of background drum beats. Instead of a song's notes falling toward the keyboard, your own notes will fly away from the keyboard traveling upward.

That feature is much simpler than what you're asking, but it does start to shift things in a new direction where it's not always about the currently playing song. I could see adding more along those lines in a year or two when most of the big features are finished on the song practice tool part of Synthesia.
Birdman87

Post by Birdman87 »

Dang well 2 years is a long time, any idea of an existing software that currently does this, preferably one that doesn't break your wallet ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Good Ear is a free ear-training site I've used in the past. It doesn't do sight-reading of notes, but it does randomized exercises where you listen and identify what you heard.