Mode with sheet music only

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Svish

Post by Svish » 12-18-14 1:47 pm

Love this game!

One thing though: I really need to learn how to read sheet music... would it be possible to have a sheet-music-only-mode of sorts? So, no falling bars, no keyboard on screen, only the sheet music thing, but full screen and sensible sized notes.

Even better if the fingering help would appear by the notes, as they do in some introduction sheet music.

kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi » 12-18-14 1:50 pm

You can hide the keyboard and extend the sheet music.

For keyboard drag the blue Arrow (it appear when you move the mouse at the right of the screen.
For fun, just drag to the bottom ;)

Happy reading :)

Svish

Post by Svish » 12-18-14 4:24 pm

Oh! I've been on a Surface Pro using only the touch screen. Hadn't even seen that arrow. But that's cool! More space for sheet music! Thanks :D

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 12-20-14 4:18 am

You can also use F5 to hide the falling notes (leaving only the sheet music).

Even more: for the Synthesia 11 release cycle, we're going to be dramatically improving the sheet music capabilities. It's a little early to say for sure, but if we don't add multi-line sheet music, we'll be a lot closer to being able to.

pianostudent

Post by pianostudent » 01-05-15 6:24 pm

just chiming in here... fingering on notation would be great too! Thanks!

bnn8q

Post by bnn8q » 01-07-15 4:04 pm

Having to push F5 everytime you practice playing the song is annoying. Can we have a feature to completely turn the falling keys off until we turn it on again? Also I'm trying to teach my kids piano with this program, so can there be a "Practice the Sheet Music", in addition to what the program already has: Practice the Melody & Practice the Rhythm? It would be really helpful since the kid can see he or she getting points for the improvement in reading sheet music. Ideally the Practice the Melody would have the falling keys to help with fingering & melody. Then click on the Practice the Sheet Music with the falling keys automatically turned off. I doubt you guys will make this happen but its a suggestion to make teaching piano to kids more fun.

Thanks

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-07-15 4:29 pm

bnn8q wrote:I doubt you guys will make this happen...
Why would you doubt it? :D

Our goal for the Synthesia 11 release is to make the sheet music good enough to stand on its own all the time, even in more technically complicated songs. Right now there are some situations (32nd notes, triplets, etc.) where the falling notes are the only place to really catch the nuances. Once Synthesia gets better at showing those in the sheet music as well, we'll be able to add the types of things you're requesting.

jimhenry

Post by jimhenry » 01-07-15 4:31 pm

bnn8q makes an interesting point. Playing from sheet music only is not the same as playing from the falling note display. In some other topic, Nicholas mentioned that changing the hand, or maybe the fingering, for a note was differentiated for scoring purposes. I am not sure that I agree that scoring should depend on how Synthesia suggests a note be played, especially since Synthesia can't actually tell what finger or hand you use. However, I totally see how the score for playing from the sheet music only should be differentiated from the score for playing from the falling notes. Going a step further, playing from memory without any note display at all should be differentiated from both.

This probably is something that should be addressed as part of the major overhaul of feedback scheduled for version 12. The major overhaul of sheet music display scheduled for version 11 adds extra impetus to giving the sheet music only view a more equal status to the falling note view.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-07-15 4:50 pm

jimhenry wrote:... Nicholas mentioned that changing the hand, or maybe the fingering, for a note was differentiated for scoring purposes.
Let me try again: deciding to play or not play a note will put it on a separate scoreboard. The hand (or finger) doesn't matter.

What you heard: "assigning a note from the left hand to right makes it count as a completely different part..."
The part you missed: "... if you're only electing to play a single hand."

If you've selected Both Hands, there is no difference at all. It has everything to do with which notes belong to the user vs. which don't. Hands or fingers don't matter for the reasons you cited. (Well, until we've got a camera watching them someday.)
jimhenry wrote:This probably is something that should be addressed as part of the major overhaul of feedback scheduled for version 12...
I like this idea. The Synthesia 12 overhaul will stick with the idea of a monotonically increasing 0-to-100 progress metric, but the scale will be dramatically stretched out on the far end. I remember you saying something like "I consider an A- to be barely passable" with respect to Synthesia's old letter grades. The 12 revamp is going to take that to heart. I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to push things all the way to memorization, but I suppose if progress of 100 is supposed to mean "I know the song, cold", from-memory recitation might not be a bad way to confirm it.

jimhenry

Post by jimhenry » 01-07-15 7:35 pm

Nicholas wrote:
jimhenry wrote:... Nicholas mentioned that changing the hand, or maybe the fingering, for a note was differentiated for scoring purposes.
The part you missed: "... if you're only electing to play a single hand."
Aha! Makes sense now. :oops:
Nicholas wrote:I wasn't quite sure if I wanted to push things all the way to memorization, but I suppose if progress of 100 is supposed to mean "I know the song, cold", from-memory recitation might not be a bad way to confirm it.
In my view, playing from falling notes, playing from sheet music, and playing from memory are three different, though related, skills and not a progression. I am pretty sure that you have users who strive toward every possible combination of those objectives. After all, there are concert pianists who play from sheet music. And there probably are users who are of a gamer mentality where the objective is to hit the falling notes and amass a high score more than to learn to play a particular piece of music. I think you are best off providing a way to get feedback based on what type of note prompting Synthesia was providing and leaving it at that.

Even if my goal was to memorize a piece, I don't think it would be useful to combine that score or feedback with my feedback for playing from the sheet music, nor to combine the feedback between falling notes and sheet music. It seems likely that each of the three could have different problems and those difference could be instructive. I might be able to play a piece well with falling notes but consistently miss black keys when I play from sheet music indicating that I don't know my scales for that piece. Or maybe my rhythm falls apart when I go to the sheet because I am overly reliant on the timing cues of the falling notes. (Which brings up the point that there probably should be an option to turn off the visual beat indicator in sheet music if there isn't already.) And there might be errors when playing from memory that you don't have when playing from the sheet or falling notes which tells you where your memory of the piece is shaky.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/

TomaszSz

Post by TomaszSz » 03-04-15 5:59 am

I'm just starting to learn piano (along with my kids!) and having a true "sheet only" mode with finger numbers would be very helpful indeed. Right now I'm considering another software, but 99 Euro is quite steep and I believe Synthesia is more than capable for what we need. All it's missing is the ability to zoom on the sheet (to decide how much/how many bars to be displayed) and most importantly the fingering numbers...

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 03-04-15 6:04 am

You can zoom in by dragging the little separator bar between the falling notes and sheet music. (Or press F3 to cycle through a few predetermined sizes.)

nelkyle

Post by nelkyle » 04-01-15 10:28 am

I agree that a sheet only mode needs to be added. I find myself not using synthesia at all anymore, and just using musescore to display the sheet music and playing along with that.

Three changes that would make synthesia's sheet music great:

Full screen sheet music (and not just making the sheet music larger, but actually displaying multiple rows on one page.)
Drag selecting sections to play on a loop, rather than the odd loop controls currently available.
Pausing at the end of the loop and showing mistakes in play.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 04-01-15 1:45 pm

Full screen sheet music: If this doesn't make it into Synthesia 11, it will be 90% of the way there. Synthesia 11 is a major update for sheet music.

Drag selecting sections to play on a loop: This works today when you drag in the timeline. (Anytime if you use right-drag. In loop editing mode if you don't mind using left-drag.)

... showing mistakes in play: Something like this will make it into Synthesia 12.

woodruff

Post by woodruff » 07-25-15 4:43 pm

Hi there,

I was about to post that same request and I found it with search.
I'd really like to see the full sheet music feature too. It would convert synthesia in a great music notation learning software.

With some coloring on notes to see the ones played correctly or not it would be just perfect :]

Thanks for great work.

AndImStillAlive

Post by AndImStillAlive » 07-29-15 6:11 pm

I am trying to spend more time learning to read sheet music, and I would love to have full screen sheet music capability!
If the notes could light up (blue for left hand & green for right hand) that would be awesome!

I am looking forward to the updates. :)
AndImStillAlive