auto detect and run mode?

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
bud01

Post by bud01 »

Hi

I select sections of a song to learn and then go forward.

I would like for Synthesia to monitor my musical notes, detect in my place in the song and then auto present my current position leading up to my current in work area, my break from current "lost" place back again should lead Synthesia to roll back the track and take off from the previously returned place which I would like to mentally manage my preference vs allocating into the application my "small part of the song to play".

I appreciate Synthesia and I don't have a bad word to say about it, but it needs to observe my play and assist me not the other way around.

one problem with this kind of routine or aspect available as a function would be songs in which the same pattern reoccurs, maybe in those situations you could hit 1,2,3,4,5 for the placement of the queue point, you were trying to trigger.

if this feature is already available or available via a mod please excuse me, if this obvious feature is not available then some one needs to get their coding fingers out because app feels like it is missing 50% of the functionality.... right think about it, you cant just play the app and it pick up your correct notes to auto match and resume from position,

As I see it this is a good feature since bar patterns are mastered, with link points and again complex bars etc, I should be able to lead into the piano and return back to any point by repeating my last favoured, well point, or comfortable point (which progresses thorough out the song), at the moment I am having to match / copy / satisfy a defined period bar, several bars) or period.

I would like my main focus brought back to an anchor point I can gradually bring forward by my mastery of any set period.

Hope every one enjoys their music, and thanks for Piano.

If I need to re-buy the app or pay up to 40$ dollars for this enhancement please let me know.

bd
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

bud01 wrote:... monitor my musical notes, detect in my place in the song and then auto present my current position leading up to my current in work area...
I agree this would be a very helpful feature. The technical name for this is Score Following and has been patented by the Home Concert Xtreme folks.

That family of patents start expiring around the middle of 2017. After that we'll be able to add something like this.
stephenhazel

Post by stephenhazel »

So is score following in general copyrighted?

I took a quick read through the link that you had that spec'd out their method.
And, umm, it wouldn't work...

I know one guy who uses HCX (a lot) and he tells me he never uses the score following mode.
Just the "pausing" mode.

I'm working on score following, but I can't see using that algorithm or even a variation of it.

If I have a completely different algorithm (one that works), would that be copyright infringement?
serkol

Post by serkol »

There's a web site weezic.com - they have an acoustic score following for piano. It's a monthly subscription, and currently you cannot enter your own scores there. They have programmed a MusicXML import and demo it on some events, but it's not opened to public yet. They have a signup form for teachers on their web site - I signed up (I teach my kids). The MusicXML import is supposed to be free for a limited number of scores (they don't say the exact number), and you don't have to pay the subscription, if you don't want to use their scores. Sounds interesting - I'm waiting for the day they enable MusicXML import to try this out.

The description of their score following features:
https://store.weezic.com/en/demonstration-area

As any acoustic tech, it's prone to errors. It would be great if sometime in the future Synthesia did the same for digital pianos/keyboards, with the preciseness of the digital input.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

stephenhazel wrote:So is score following in general copyrighted?
No. First of all, we are talking about patents not copyrights. Patents are very different. Nothing can be patented "in general". Only specific ways of doing things can be patented.

I think there is a good chance this patent would be found invalid based on recent court decisions. Check out the Alice decision regarding patents on abstract ideas.

To infringe a patent you have to satisfy every element of a claim. If you don't do "assigning importance attributes to notes" you can't infringe any of claims 1-8. That seems like something you don't need to do. There are other things needed to infringe the claims that seem unnecessary to score following.

This patent wouldn't make me lose sleep.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/