Show sheet music display in Free Play Mode

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

I made this in Unity.

I would like to feature request an additional feature where in Free Play Mode, the player is able to see what notes on the Sheet Music Display is being played while the keys are pressed and the notes are going up. The GIF is done for the purpose of demonstrating a feature I would like to request. When a key is pressed, not only the piano roll is showing what notes are being played, but it goes along with what notes are played in the sheet music display. So, you have all three viewing modes where the player can learn how to read the sheet music through experimenting with piano key presses.

And programming all the notes to line up with the staff is pretty hard to do in my opinion. You have to take considerations with floating point errors and the scale of the staffs in relation to the notes' positions.
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I was hoping to add exactly this during Synthesia 11 (when the sheet music code will be becoming quite a bit more flexible).
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

At the moment, I'm having some trouble with the current Unity codes at the moment. Therefore, I can't show you what I have pictured in mind.

When the player plays a key, knowing that there will be a note shooting upwards in the piano roll, it would make sense to also have the music note symbol in the sheet music display to also move along, from right to left, as if you are reading the sheet music.

Looking forward to Synthesia 11 next year. :D
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That might be a little trickier. I was thinking a static display like the one in your animated GIF where only your currently-pressed notes appear along the same vertical line.

To do scrolling, you need lots of other context like the time signature, tempo, and a running clock with a beat. Otherwise you wouldn't be able to pick the correct note heads or placement along the horizontal. Even the major sheet music editing apps out there have a lot of trouble with live music entry. That's not a problem I was planning on tackling anytime soon.
draco2023a

Post by draco2023a »

Why not give the option to switch between piano fall mode and full screen music notation? This would not only be useful for beginners that want to learn to sight read, it would also be great for performers and extend the usefulness of your product. I have attempted to use sytheshia in a performance environment combined with Cantabile Performer, but the current notation setup is not very useful in that situation. the fact that it shows both the notation and the falling notes is a bit distracting.

I can't imagine that full screen notation would be that complicated to implement
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You can press F5 to hide the falling notes while the song is playing.

Full screen notation is going to be very complicated to implement, but it's coming in the next major Synthesia release. The next one (Synthesia 11) is all about improving the sheet music display.
draco2023a

Post by draco2023a »

Oh, Okay...I didn't know about hitting F5....thanks. Looking forward to the next version. Thanks for the hard work.