Network Teacher/Class Controls

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
sladeburns

Post by sladeburns »

I would love to see the following class controls/settings in either Synthesia or an add on (that I would happily pay for):

1. The ability to set up song performance assignments so that various settings are turned on/off for an entire class (p.34 has Falling blocks off, Grand Staff on.)
2. Performance reporting to teacher
3. Group songs into custom sections or Folders. (i.e. a "syllabus" of songs)
4. Conditional Advancement in the syllabus (p34 must be completed at X score before p35 is available to be played)

These are at the top of my head right now, but I think you get the idea. More instructional control.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I like those suggestions. (#3 is possible today with the metadata editor.)

To date, as best as we can tell, Synthesia has only made it into a few hundred classrooms. This is understandable because all of our marketing has historically been aimed at the autodidact and until relatively recently there was a lot of friction in place when using Synthesia in the classroom: we didn't have the classroom guide, classroom installer tool, or automatic quote/invoice system for purchase orders. Combine that with the serious/professional pass we're making at sheet music improvement in Synthesia 11 and I suspect there will be a stronger argument for Synthesia in the classroom soon.

The kinds of features you mentioned have been suffering from a sort of chicken and the egg problem (deployment in schools is still low, so adding that stuff has been a lower priority; without those kinds of classroom features, adoption in schools is bound to be slower).

With any luck, the school-friendly improvements we've already rolled out plus the sheet music update should break the cycle. I could see the kinds of things you're describing start to pop up in Synthesia 12 and 13.