Change Sonivox MIDI synth in Synthesia Video Creator

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
kostya572

Post by kostya572 »

I've tested a lot of MIDI files through Synthesia Video Creator. Sound results is not perfect, a lot of MIDI files audio output have big noise. Some files sounds terrible.
In attachments i've uploaded sample MIDI file and 3 outputs. Synthesia Video Creator sounds bad, FluidSynth i liked the most and Timidity++ also sounds not bad.
Is there any possibilities to see any other MIDI synth rather than Sonivox? Video output is amazing, it renders excellent video without lags, but sounds bad. Thank you.
Attachments
sample_videocreator.wav.zip
(1.01 MiB) Downloaded 87 times
sample_timidity.wav.zip
(1.78 MiB) Downloaded 85 times
sample_fluidsynth.wav.zip
(1.42 MiB) Downloaded 89 times
sample.mid
(18.46 KiB) Downloaded 107 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

For reference, do you happen to know which DLS or SF2 files were used with Timidity and FluidSynth? To be a fair comparison, they should be as close as possible. (Although, I suppose there are simply inherent differences between SF2 and DLS's capabilities that can't always be replicated perfectly.)

Otherwise I agree that the Sonivox synth isn't the highest quality. FluidSynth is a possibility, although the hoops we'd have to jump through to comply with it's LGPL licensing (requiring a separate DLL to be included with today's single .exe) would be unfortunate.

Really though, rather than an incremental step in quality, our next hope was to add proper VSTi support to the video creator. The VST standard allows offline rendering of audio and lets you plug in thousands of professional audio libraries. It's definitely more of a power-user feature than "here is an SF2 file I found someplace on the Internet", but we've heard from enough users with their own DAWs over the years to know people with VST capabilities are out there.
kostya572

Post by kostya572 »

Yes, you are right that this is not a fair test with different DLS and SF2.

But, i also made test with application called "MIDI 2 MP3", it uses default Apple DLS. They don't have the same noise in output as Synthesia Video Creator has.

I have idea how to remove or minimize that noise is to use Linux utility SOX with option "--norm".
Here is example:

Code: Select all

sox output.wav --norm=-20 output2.wav
But it's not a perfect solution.

In FluidSynth it uses - GeneralUser_GS_MuseScore_v1.442.sf2, for Timidity i don't remember, but it should be one of the most popular.
Attachments
testnew.wav.zip
(1.51 MiB) Downloaded 83 times