Practice mode that ignores wrong notes

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

I know there's a setting that sets the program to ignore incorrect notes, but I'm not sure if it does anything. In melody practice, if I press the wrong note, it still pauses and waits until I press the right one. What I would really love to be able to do is to keep playing even if I pressed a key wrong, but at the same time, if I'm completely in the weeds, I need the ability to stop and get my bearings back.

So rhythm practice mode allows me to keep going even when the notes are wrong, but it doesn't stop when I'm completely lost. Melody practice mode doesn't allow me to keep going until I find the right key, so any mistake is a huge disruption of rhythm. I would love to have an intermediate mode (or simply a setting for the melody practice mode) that pauses only when I don't press any key, but if I press any key, then it continues. Is that doable?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

In Rhythm mode, you could always just hit the pause shortcut (spacebar by default, or the play/pause icon at the top of the screen).

It sounded like you wanted it to stop automatically, but from Synthesia's perspective it's tricky to distinguish between "just hitting a few incorrect notes" vs. "completely lost". Giving the user manual control lets you make that distinction for it.
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

I'm not proposing any sophisticated algorithm. Basically, I'd like a mode (or optional setting) where it pauses if you don't hit any keys, but continues otherwise. So if you're lost, you can just take your hands off the keys and figure out where you are.

Hitting the pause button would create a significantly greater disruption, especially considering that my (computer) keyboard is normally not within easy reach.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Perhaps this could be accomplished by a melody mode setting that only requires a note to be played but not the correct note(s) to be played.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
PianoFish

Post by PianoFish »

Seconding this request for a more forgiving melody mode. This would upgrade my Synthesia experience from 4* to 5*.

Some ideas include:
1. Melody mode setting to continue on any note pressed (or after X incorrect notes) as suggested above.
2. Ability to mark specific notes or passages as "learned" which exempts them from being checked for accuracy. The song would either continue at normal speed when these exempted notes are encountered, or advance on any note pressed.

Really happy with the software Nicholas! Thanks for continuing to make Synthesia even better.