Audio input?

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Katka

Post by Katka »

I know that this has been suggested before, but I really would love to have this feature so that I can make full use of the program with low whistle or ocarina.

A point brought up in the past is that picking out multiple notes from audio input and turning it into MIDI format is quite difficult, but even only allowing monophonic input should be enough for most woodwind, brass and even some string instruments, not to mention singing (or any instrument at all if the music itself is monophonic).

I know that wouldn't satisfy most piano players, but for those of us who like to sing or play a monophonic instrument it would be a big bonus.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This might be something that can be tackled by a third-party app. I remember downloading something on the iPad (unfortunately, I forget the name of the app) that was supposed to listen to a guitar and convert it to MIDI signals. Leaving it running and switching over to Synthesia, I was able to whistle and have my notes show up on Synthesia's keyboard.

In principle, the same could work just as easily on the PC or Mac (using any of the virtual loopback drivers like LoopBe1 or loopMIDI) to send the MIDI signals back to Synthesia. So this is an area where outside help is possible. The audio input could just show up as another input in the list on the Settings screen.
IvanL

Post by IvanL »

The apps that allow audio input often have a lot of input lag.
kiwi
Synthesia Donor

Post by kiwi »

This one ;)
https://www.jamorigin.com/

Works like a charm but if you don't want latency you must buy a descent soundcard.