Audio Interface Output

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Eminan

Post by Eminan »

Hi, i recently bought Synthesia and i sadly encounter that the latency in windows 10 is a disaster. I read about a lot of methods to "FIX" this, but they are not ...great.
The thing that surprises me for worst is that i can´t select my audio interface as an output for Synthesia... this would solve everything for people with an audio interface (a lot if they also have a midi controller in general.)
PLEASE make this happen with an update, right now the program it's not appealing with this complications. This option should be a given in a program like this.
I hope it comes true.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

You can't select your audio interface because Synthesia doesn't produce an audio output. It produces a MIDI output that has to be sent to a MIDI synthesizer to produce an audio output. Synthesia can send MIDI to your keyboard if it can produce audio based on a MIDI input.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Eminan

Post by Eminan »

I have midi controllers so they can´t play midi sounds. I don´t know if it's possible to program Synthesia to output audio but that sound like the best solution to everybody. (Like a DAW)
Right now it's a little hard to recommend it.
I have decided to ask for a refund until i get a keyboard with onboard midi sounds that can use all the features of Synthesia or they make an update that makes the software a little more open, and yes, much better.
It's annoying because i have a good midi controller/synth and i don´t really want another keyboard with cheap midi sounds just for this.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Using a virtual MIDI loopback cable (like the free LoopBe1 or loopMIDI drivers) Synthesia can send its output to your favorite DAW, making it sound the best... like a DAW.

There are even free, low-latency synths that can use your audio interface with hundreds of sound libraries that all sound very nice. They just take a few clicks to install and a couple settings changes to point to your audio interface.

(I would argue that by leaving the sound generation completely up to users, Synthesia is more open than it would be by locking you into whichever sound set it shipped with. Coupled with primarily using the completely open MIDI format... I don't know, things are sounding pretty open to me. ;) )
Eminan

Post by Eminan »

Yes i tried that. But even if i can hear the piano i didn,t find a way to output the metronome and the drum tracks of the songs. Even looking the channels that were outputing sound.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Metronome and drums are always MIDI channel 10.

(Synthesia's metronome is configurable: hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia to open the configuration window. Find "Metronome.Channel" in the list. The numbers there are zero-based, so "9" in ones-based MIDI channel numbers means 10.)
Eminan

Post by Eminan »

Okey we are almost there. But setting addictive drums for example to what its supposed to be he drum channel doesn´t sound right. Like if the midi notes are no the ones corresponding to the kick, snare, etc.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

You'll need a drum plugin for your DAW that is mapped to the usual GM MIDI percussion range. (The third table, here.)