Disable shortcuts for given input device.

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Hi,

I'm playing on M-Audio Keystation II 61, which has 8 additional buttons - recognised by the system as 2nd midi device.
Unfortunately if I assign hotkeys to those buttons in Synthesia, they are additionally assigned to corresponding piano keys.
That means that I can't effectively use 4 buttons when no octave is shifted or no buttons at all if I shift the octave up.
For example when i assign [ESC] shortcut to the "Record"/C7 button, Esc will be pressed even if i press C7 on the keyboard - see attachment.

Please add an option on the settings page to disable given input device from triggering shortcuts or implement any solution that would help me use those buttons.
Attachments
keystation key map with frames2.png
keystation key map with frames2.png (207.99 KiB) Viewed 4069 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Weird. Those controls actually register as key presses on one of the MIDI inputs? What a strange implementation.

(As a workaround in the meantime, if you switch between Mackie Control and HUI mode for those buttons, does that improve anything? See page 7 of your Keystation manual.)

As for the feature request: I could see adding a "Use for shortcuts" type of checkbox for each Music Input device in the Settings list. It would be on by default but could be turned off for situations like these. (At that point, you could keep a tiny eKeys 37-type thing right on your real keyboard and use it just for shortcuts. :D
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Thanks for a quick answer.
Actually switching from Mackie Control to HUI mode did change how Synthesia registers the buttons. Unfortunately in HUI mode, all 8 buttons are registered as "CC 15, ch1", so that change didn't help.

But you gave me nice idea to explore advance settings and I found a solution. By default both piano keys and top buttons are sent via Channel 1. But there's an option to change piano keys to be sent on any other channel (2-16). After setting piano keys to channel 2, shortcuts are still sent independently via channel 1 and it works like a charm now. Thanks for that.

Anyway it would still be nice to have an option to decide if a device is used for playing, shortcut or both. Currently still the buttons are registered as a device playing piano. Thus i had to set the piano range for it. Fortunately i could set piano range to 2 keys that are inside the range of the actual 61 keys, so it doesn't enlarge them. But I had to also lower the volume to 1% in order to not hear the piano when i press the buttons.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is actually one of those cases where a power user can have a lot of fun!

With a virtual MIDI loopback cable (like LoopBe1 or loopMIDI) combined with the incomparably powerful MIDI-OX utility, there is very little you can't do. MIDI-OX's Data Mapping feature (there are lots of examples on the forum; here is one that will get you started) can turn any MIDI message into any other MIDI message.

So, you could have your Keystation's 1st input piped right into Synthesia, but configure the 2nd input in the following way:

2nd input --> MIDI-OX (using data mapping) ----[via loopMIDI/LoopBe1]---> Synthesia

At that point you've got full control and can make those buttons (and more!) behave however you want.