Switching Keyboards

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.

Postby PhamMinhNhat » 10-17-17 9:28 am

I feel interesting with the current version of Synthesia, but I quite miss the old keyboard of v0.8.3, so I am not really like the new keyboard. So I am thinking about bringing the old keyboard back and allow users to switch between the old one and the new one. Is that OK?
---
Pictures:
- Old: https://photos.app.goo.gl/DkSqezgoyus0XX8m1
- New: https://photos.app.goo.gl/7a6L2KfSX7Sv9ETi1
Last edited by PhamMinhNhat on 10-25-17 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhamMinhNhat

Postby Nicholas » 10-23-17 1:39 pm

(Those picture links gave a 404 error. Perhaps they are still set to private?)

Out of curiosity, what is it that you like about the older style keyboard graphics? When we first released 8.4 with the new graphics, the feedback seemed to be overwhelmingly positive in favor of the new graphics. You may be the first person I remember hearing from that has preferred the old.
Nicholas

Postby PhamMinhNhat » 10-25-17 7:23 am

Well, the new keyboard looks a little bit odd to me for some reason. But still, I do like the new one (of Synthesia 10.1 with the particle effect). It doesn’t feel right to me for some reason. So, the old keyboard seems more realistic to me.
P.S. Thanks for noticing the photos problem. Yes, those are private, and I totally forgot about that. Sorry about that. :P
P.P.S. Please bring the configuration back. That’s also why I’m still using v0.8.3 and v10.1.
PhamMinhNhat

Postby Nicholas » 10-25-17 4:51 pm

Here is the image from Nov-2012 where I first compared the new key graphics to a real photograph of one of our test keyboards:

084keyMockup2.png
084keyMockup2.png (227.43 KiB) Viewed 639 times

I thought I was able to get it pretty close to the real thing.

Otherwise, when you mentioned configuration, did you mean the old "SynthesiaConfig.exe" utility? That has since been rolled into the Synthesia.exe program itself. In recent versions, all you have to do is hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia and it will open the same configuration window. We just simplified things so you didn't have to keep two separate programs around.
Nicholas

Postby PhamMinhNhat » 11-02-17 9:53 am

In my opinion, the shadow was missing both in the prototype and the old keyboard. And I myself believe that it is the only thing that in missing. Other than that, you’re very close to the real thing, compared to the real piano.
PhamMinhNhat

Return to Feature Requests