Suggestion for ipad and unlock code problem

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
amahlaka

Post by amahlaka »

Hi, i have used synthesia for many years and just got an iPad and noticed that due to Apple's clearly anti competitive rules, i cannot use full version of synthesia without paying thru appstore

Would it be possible to offer a so called "Legacy" version that offers no in app purchases but you could use the short code to unlock it, but without mentioning or linking to external sites, so that it wouldnt violate apple's rules
quoting the rules: "Apps and their metadata may not include buttons, external links, or other calls to action that direct customers to purchasing mechanisms other than in-app purchase."

Or maybe have a "userid" visible in app, then have a website that you type it to with your unlock key, and that allows the app to function fully
that would not be in any way mentioning the website in the app itself and thus would not be in violation of this rule, and as it would be a seperate app/"legacy" version
amahlaka

Post by amahlaka »

Or you could do what spotify has done, have a login system that is required to unlock the feature, but dont mention other payment methods in app, but allow linking your purchase from other sources, like the website to your account.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I think the difference with Spotify (or Dropbox, or Audible, etc.) is that the account is for an ongoing service or regular content. In Synthesia's case, the unlock is purely for features. And, from the (rather curt) sentence just before the one you quoted: "If you want to unlock features or functionality within your app, [...] you must use in-app purchase."

We could certainly try to squeeze into some gray area with wording changes and hand waving, but I'm ultra-conservative when it comes to following the (spirit and letter of the) rules of the agreements I've made. It would be so much more convenient if a single unlock worked everywhere (for users and us!) but I'd rather avoid stirring up a hornets nest in the effort.

You said it best: anti-competitive is precisely it.