Timing Data

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
olizim

Post by olizim »

My son uses the timing data provided when playing a looped segment. It is great. It would be even greater if it added time when he plays a note too early...a total delta time, so if he's a tenth early here and a tenth late there, it indicates a total delta of 2 tenths, instead of just the late sum. Being early is as bad as being late (when playing piano)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's an interesting idea. Right now that counter is just keeping track of how long the song sits in the stopped state (while waiting for you), but I agree that turning it into more of a cumulative measure of how early/late all of your notes have been would be more useful.

The idea does provide at least one interesting question: if the next notes to be played are a three-note chord and you play it too early, does that accumulate the amount of early time or 3x the amount of early time?
olizim

Post by olizim »

Interesting detail...but may not matter. If you go with the model that a chord is like a single note, i guess 1x delay is good. My son routinely plays notes early and maybe doesn't realize it. You may want to have an adjustable range for what is considered to be "on time". Is this an easy feature to add ? Can it be displayed when not looping ?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

olizim wrote:Can it be displayed when not looping?
During the Synthesia 12 development cycle (when we completely revamp the progress mechanism to track everything on a per-measure basis -- regardless of whether you're inside or outside of a loop), you'll be able to review past performances and see how early/late notes were. That is going to be one of the major headline features of that release.