Background Pictures in the Metadata Editor.

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
ZetaCron

Post by ZetaCron »

Wasn't sure where to put this ...

Anyway, when you put a background picture in using the metadata editor it gets stretched to the whole of the screen. It would nice if it got stretched no further than the falling notes area. That's all.

Thank you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm. There are a few different ways to change the size of the falling note area that let you go all the way up to the full size of the screen. (You can unpin the top menu, turn off sheet music, and push the keyboard all the way down with the blue block. That will make something like 98% of the screen show falling notes.)

So, at that point, should the background image be resized dynamically as things are shifted around? Should toggling the sheet music change the size of the background image? If so, should it still be stretched horizontally and squished vertically? Or should it be scaled down uniformly and add black bars on the left and right?
ZetaCron

Post by ZetaCron »

Nicholas wrote:You can unpin the top menu
How!? I looked at every single setting!
Nicholas wrote:So, at that point, should the background image be resized dynamically as things are shifted around?
Yes.
Nicholas wrote:Should toggling the sheet music change the size of the background image?
Yes.
Nicholas wrote:If so, should it still be stretched horizontally and squished vertically? Or should it be scaled down uniformly and add black bars on the left and right?
Uniform. I'll take black bars over a stretched/squished image any day.

Thank you.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

ZetaCron wrote:How!? I looked at every single setting!
In the desktop (PC/Mac) version of Synthesia you can hold your Shift key while launching the app to open the configuration window. The "Gameplay.PinMenuDrawerOpen" setting there will make the top bar tuck in so long as your mouse isn't nearby.

Really, the configuration window is supposed to be for "scary" settings that shouldn't normally be altered except in special circumstances. I'm not so sure the pinned menu thing counts. That could probably go inside the normal settings screen. In fact... let me add that to the to-do list. That will let tablet users have access to it, too.

EDIT: Maybe it's not quite so easy on touchscreens. Without the notion of moving a cursor, it's harder to teach the "touch near the top of the screen" interaction to show the bar again. Hmm. Maybe this should remain desktop-only.
KaleidonKep99

Post by KaleidonKep99 »

You could make it show the top bar when tapping the screen once in the upper part of it.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I like that. There is all sorts of precedence for that interaction (a single tap brings up the play controls in full-screen YouTube videos and lots of other places). I'll try to handle it like that. Then it can be made available across all platforms.

Nice suggestion. Thanks!