Play part of song in website

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

Hi,

On the list of song we can buy on website, there is no way to listen/see each song.
I will be very help full to be able to directly check each song instead of seaching on youtube 'my song name synthesia' :mrgreen:

Cordially ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

There are preview buttons for the two free songs. :D

To do any better than that -- and I know this sounds crazy -- we'd have to reach out to each publisher individually (after tracking them down in the first place), sign up to their licensing programs, and negotiate how much we should pay for the privilege of being able to let our users listen to a 30 second preview. The fact that previews might only help to sell more copies doesn't matter! Copyright law can be counter-intuitive.

Actually going through all those steps is a little outside the scope of a 1.75 person operation we've got here. (Really, even maintaining a steady stream of new content in the store has proven to be a challenge too large for our team size. My arranger friend that was putting these together ended up going back to school for a physics degree, so he's been too busy to make new arrangements.)
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

arf I didn't thinks about copyright.... :roll:

I'm also fighting with licensing and other legal stuff in my job (And I have also to small team for making everything I want ) so I understand you soooo weeellll :D
(your are just 2 for dev synthesia ? )

So do you know where I can buy song like you propose (with the fingering , that helping me to learn without making so much mistake I thinks) ?
Maybe you can make some association with midi song seller (I don't know the name for this ), maybe that can help you in your business ;)
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

hannibal wrote:(your are just 2 for dev synthesia ? )
I'm the only full-time developer. I've got a couple contractors that help out. One is very part time. The other has been doing some graphics engine work for a few months now, but will be finished (and no longer helping) after that work is complete.

Beyond that... my wife helps answer support email sometimes. :lol:
hannibal wrote:Maybe you can make some association with midi song seller (I don't know the name for this ), maybe that can help you in your business ;)
I've considered partnering with one of the larger music providers (say, Sheet Music Plus). This will make the most sense after Synthesia 11 (and MusicXML support) have been completed and only if that provider has the music available in MusicXML format. It was something I was hoping to explore more after Synthesia 11 goes out the door.
hannibal

Post by hannibal »

Hum, I have zero knowledge about the "music world" ....
So MusicXML is more standard that Midi file ?
It was something I was hoping to explore more after Synthesia 11 goes out the door.
I understand that, solve problem one by one :D

Do you plan a release date for Synthesia 11 ?
Beyond that... my wife helps answer support email sometimes. :lol:
Congratulate your wife, the support is not the best part of the work at all :roll:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Well, MIDI files don't express much of the original musical intent very clearly. Things like dynamics, repeats, accents, staff positions, and lots(!) more are boiled down in a MIDI file to a simple list of exact times when a note should be struck and not much else.

MusicXML is actually a much newer format, but it was designed for compatibility between all the major music editing apps and it contains all of that original musical intent. So at the very least, the sheet music will be able to look much nicer in Synthesia with that kind of file. Think of it like a "MIDI+extra" format. If we're going to partner up with a music provider, it seems like it would be worth the extra effort to get that additional information.

No release date yet for Synthesia 11. The roadmap post is the place to keep an eye on. We've been slowly releasing bits of 11 as they've been finished. For example, the 10.6 release will be another of the milestones leading toward 11.
hannibal wrote:Congratulate your wife, the support is not the best part of the work at all :roll:
You are not kidding! :lol: These days I spend more time on support (even after all her help) than I do on development!