SASR - Standard Assessment of Sight Reading

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Magic73

Post by Magic73 »

Hi Nicholas,
I own a license of Piano Marvel also. One of the feature that I love is the SASR.

Here a demonstration video:

[youtube=]https://youtu.be/reyvMhoJ-ko[/youtube]

It’s a really cool exercise, and hard to handle.
If you think about some sort of integration, I may write down some details about scoring and levels.
On each try the notes are randomly generated, and on higher level some piece of well known music are used (in the video you may see Blue Danube Waltz).

Let me know.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is there some part of Piano Marvel's implementation that you don't like?

I usually try to avoid copying features from other apps just for the sake of copying them. If they're already doing it well, the right answer might be to go use that app when you want to evaluate your sight reading. :D

We've got a couple sight-reading features coming up (like covering the current measure in the sheet music, to train you to read ahead; suggested by jimhenry), but a completely SASR suite is a large enough feature to practically be its own app. That would require upending a bit of the schedule.
Magic73

Post by Magic73 »

I like Piano Marvel, but I like Synthesia also. Avoiding to have multiple app, it would be a good reason ;)
Actually I use Note Trainer also, as a fast sight reading (work on phone also).

Anyway I post this FR because I read that some others were interested in SARS and Piano Marvel did a very good job.

covering the current measure... ok, but this doesn’t improve sight reading.. after a while you learn the sheet and you’ll start to use memory..

A simpler SARS could be a random generated notes, like Note Trainer does.. the user select treble/bass/notes range/with or without accents.. number of notes, and voitlá synthesia starts to display random notes and the user should play them in time...

Just as suggestion ;)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Magic73 wrote: 07-09-19 3:34 pm covering the current measure... ok, but this doesn’t improve sight reading.. after a while you learn the sheet and you’ll start to use memory..
You don't get to pick the music or know what it is before starting. Whether it is random or chosen from a large library of exercises (I think this would be better), you would be playing "at first sight."
And just to be sure we are on the same page about sight reading, it is playing music from a sheet that you have NOT seen or studied. A lot of people confuse sight reading with the ability to read sheet music. Sight reading is a difficult skill that is usually only pursued by professional musicians and serious amateurs. The ability to read sheet music fluently is a prerequisite to learning to sight read of course.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/