61 keyboard view

Synthesia is a living project. You can help by sharing your ideas.
Search the forum before posting your idea. :D

No explicit, hateful, or hurtful language. Nothing illegal.
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

I play on my iPad, iOS. Im aware I can zoom in and out but dont find it fits perfectly.
I have an option to change the keyboard size, but the only options are 88key, 18key & 25key... why no 61key?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are you using Synthesia with a 61-key digital piano?

If you set its range on the Settings screen (choose your keyboard from the Music Input list and play the lowest and highest notes), a new entry will appear in the zoom menu: "My Keyboard", which will always show exactly your keyboard's range.
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

Thanks! I am using Synthesia with a 61-key digital piano.
However, I got the piano before I even knew what Synthesia was and thus was a noob and bought a non-connecting to anything piano.
Thus I feel this feature would help as I am able make the connection using my eye until I can upgrade the Piano.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Without a connection, unfortunately the best workaround is to choose "Custom" from the zoom list and just try to match things as closely as you can.

(That's not a very good answer, sorry! Most of the app's design is centered around having a digital piano connected to the app somehow. It's not nearly as useful in the "just playing along with the music" mode.)
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

Thanks! :)... is there an alternative to zoom mode? I swapped my Piano for one that connects in and followed the instructions.
It works, but the On Screen Display keyboard is now larger which means the falling notes area is now significantly reduced.
I can zoom that out, but then they appear very small in a smaller area :(

Is there a way to reduce the keyboard size without enlarging the on screen display keyboard?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

When you pause the song, a small blue square should slide out from the right side of the screen. You can drag that square down to partially (or completely!) hide the keyboard.
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

Thanks, very helpful!
The app is great, However put me on the waiting list for this fix...
Data is only written when the app is closed, so a crash at any other time means all new data from that session is lost.

Happened twice this morning, it hurts...
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hrm, sorry for the trouble!

Ideally there shouldn't be any crashes (and historically we've gotten pretty close to the ideal). A new update just made its way out to Android yesterday for the first time in almost a year and I've seen some new reports of crashing there. I've been scrambling around to try and fix that stuff before the major holiday week.

Otherwise, I haven't heard much on the iPad. What were you doing when the crashes happened? Maybe it's something that hasn't been reported yet.
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

So I have my iPad plugged into my Casio CTX700 using the required cables.
I started playing the inbuilt songs, easiest... top down, few practices on the first mode, few practices on the second mode... then a few recitals to get the 100 score. Then would move to the next song.
Id get about 5 songs deep, then when I click to play a mode... it would just crash and I would lose all my progress :(
Tried about 5 others songs randomly, same method few first and second practice, recitals... then onselect a mode it would just crash :(
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's terrible! I'm so sorry for the lost progress.

Just to double-check, you've got the latest (10.6.1) version from the App Store? And is your keyboard your only output device? If you head over to the Settings screen, what is each entry in the list there set to? (I ask because a crash that happens during the transition between screens has a high chance of being MIDI device-related. That's when Synthesia sends a burst of messages to effectively reset/prepare the device.
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

Yeap v10.6.1.5337
Music Input = touchscreen keyboard 88key and casio usb-midi 61key
Music Output = off and off

Does that help?
Jixa

Post by Jixa »

Happened again this morning :(
Will write up steps to replicate in the bug forum.