wrong BPM for some included songs

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
lorico

Post by lorico »

For some included songs in Synthesia the BPM is set wrong (to 200). This is especially obvious for songs like "Ode to Joy (Easier)" which is played at around 120 BPM.

This issue exists for multiple songs in the Easiest and Easier difficultys but is probably also present on the others.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Bridal March is another one that is way too fast.

Those were the original tempos in the MIDI files from Gilbert DeBenedetti's site, where Synthesia got its collection of songs many years ago.

I was hoping that during the upcoming conversion of that collection to MusicXML, we might be able to iron a few of those things out. (There are a few pickup measures that are encoded strangely, too. A single 1/4 measure followed by a time signature change to 4/4, etc.)
Geert

Post by Geert »

I have this pickup measure timing issue with all my scores made in MuseScore. Seems like Synthesia doesn''t respect the scores time signature and takes the timing from the notes in the first measure. If the scores time signature is 4/4 but the pickup measure only has one quarter note, then Synthesia starts this measure with 1/4 timing. This is particularly troublesome when using the metronome function, because the metronome will count down using the 1/4 timing of the pickup measure, which is unusable.

Also the last measure of a score goes wrong when the duration is less than the scores time signature. In this case Synthesia increases playback speed.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Geert wrote: 04-17-22 4:28 pmIn this case Synthesia increases playback speed.
This is something I haven't seen before. If you could send that song file to support@synthesiagame.com, I'll take a look to see what's going wrong. Thanks!
monkel

Post by monkel »

I'm hijacking this thread because I don't know that it's worth creating a new one. :)

I've noticed that quite a few of the included (especially easier) songs are listed as Cmajor, but do have quite a few sharps or flats, so they're actually not.

Is that also due to the source of the songs or is that for another reason?

Also - while I can hide tracks and notes and divide between left and right when editing, I don't see a way to change the key of the song, which would improve the sheet view as the sharps / flats would be moved to the beginning and teach new learners correctly about keys.