Trouble with RTPMidi connection

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
happyelephant17

Post by happyelephant17 »

Hello,

I've been trying to use the Piano LED device that is a led strip that helps you identify where on the piano you should play a specific song.

I followed their documentation and used RTPMidi (https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html) to setup the midi device via wifi.

It nearly works in Synthesia but I'm having a strange issue. When I play a note, the game sees it (I mean the piano at the bottom is showing it in gray) but it does not progress through the note. Instead, it waits for me to release the note, then plays it all the way through. So for instance if I have to play a left hand chord that lasts for a measure, I play it at the start, then release it, then only can I play the right hand that is supposed to be played during the left hand chord.

Thank you so much for creating this awesome game :D
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

happyelephant17 wrote: 12-04-22 5:45 pmWhen I play a note, the game sees it [...] but it does not progress through the note. Instead, it waits for me to release the note, then plays it all the way through.
What keyboard are you using for input? Does it have a Dual or Layer mode that is on or does it have overlapping Zones enabled?

If a Dual or Layer mode is on or if overlapping Zones are enabled, playing a single key will make two different instrument sounds, for example, a piano and a violin. The keyboard will send the same pitch on two different MIDI channels on its MIDI OUT port, for example, a piano note on channel 1 and a violin note on channel 2.

When Synthesia sees two copies of the same pitch, it behaves strangely, including the symptom you are seeing: the note will only progress when you release the key.

Here is a thread with an example video: Practice the Melody only resumes on key release, counts errors on press
happyelephant17

Post by happyelephant17 »

Hello, I thought my keyboard was not in Dual mode but for some reason disabling it made it work, so maybe it was two very similar sounds.

Thank you :D