Falling notes stutter/ shake

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
arcus80

Post by arcus80 »

I'm having an issue while playing where the notes will suddenly start stuttering/shaking (it's like they hang for a fraction of a second over and over again) as they fall. This problem starts randomly and resolves randomly. I can start as soon as I start a song, or in the middle or on the last notes. I may last several songs or even resolve itself in the same song. It doesn't discriminate which midi file to occur on. I have researched extensively and attempted to remedy this problem in every way I could before posting based off of any post on this forum that had a similar issue. I don't want to waste anyone's time. When none of that worked I uninstalled and reinstalled fresh and for a couple days I thought I was free of the horrible issue, but it started back mid Beatles. I haven't changed anything on my computer in some time as I'm annoyingly consistent in how I like my settings and all my drivers are up to date.

I attempted to:
Turn off particle effects
Used the configuration window to change "Midi.DeviceCheckMilliseconds" to 300,000
Used the configuration window to turn off "System.JamboxxEnabled"
Turned off measure lines My Bookmarks, Metadata Bookmarks, Key Signatures, and Midi Markers
Turned off both Key and Note labels
Closed any other programs running at the same time
I play on a second monitor, but tried it on my main monitor and still the same issue
I can't remember if it started before or after I switched from a Yamaha YPG-235 to a Yamaha P125. I am connected via an Amazon basics USB-A to USB cable that has been used forfive years with no previous issues.
My computer:

Windows 10 Home
INtel Core i7-7700 CPU
16 GB DDR4
NVidia GeFOrce GTX 1070
Synthesia Version: 10.6.5425

I'm desperate honestly and don't want to have to give up using Synthesia, but I'm mildly photosensitive w/ mild seizures if my brain is provoked enough by strobes or odd/ immersive graphics and the jumpiness of the falling notes really messes with me. Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Do you mean a tiny, one-frame hiccup where the notes won't move and then on the next frame it'll look like they moved twice?

Your list of attempted fixes is very thorough! The last thing to double-check: are you playing in full-screen mode (by pressing Alt-Enter)? I've seen the hiccup problem disappear completely when Synthesia is set to full-screen. It's like the GPU gives it a higher priority or something because it's the only thing using the screen from that point on. Does that help at all?
arcus80

Post by arcus80 »

Unfortunately that didn't fix the issue. About 3/4 of the way through a the first midi I played it started again.
I suppose that could describe it. It's a lot like when someone uploads a poor quality video of synthesia on youtube and it's like the falling notes are catching friction and stopping for just a split second. I reminds me a lot of frame-rate issues in games (particularly MMOs when lots of people were in an zone), but my frames are good. I'm sorry I'm not very good with the technical description.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It's tricky to describe, but you're doing a nice job of it. I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.

There are dozens of sources for those small "hiccups", some in the video driver, some in the OS, some from other apps doing things in the background, and some caused by the app itself. (I've actually noticed the problem 100x as frequently under Windows than on a Mac or iPad, so I wonder if Apple has done extra work to eliminate as many of their sources of the problem as they could?)

Synthesia 10.7 is nearly ready to go out the door. One of the focuses of 10.8 is actually to try tracking down anything we can do better on this front. Over the years I've identified a number of gross inefficiencies in the app that could cause this sort of thing and I was going to tackle all of them at once during 10.8 development. That won't solve the reasons that are out of control of the app, but hopefully it'll make things better.
arcus80

Post by arcus80 »

Yeah, Windows 10 drives me nuts. I was a hold out on 7 as long as I could. Alrighty, well I do have a machine over here that still runs 7, used to run Synthesia well, and stays disconnected from my network. It just needs a little love to be back up and running so I'll probably do that and use that as my music computer till the new version of Synesthesia comes out. Thank you very much for your assistance.