Yahama P125: Synthesia skipping notes

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
scareware47

Post by scareware47 »

Game Version: 10.6.5425
Keyboard: Yahama P125 over midi.

Hi,

I've noticed sometimes synthesia can detect key press but still won't move unless you keep trying multiple times. (practice mode)

Sometimes it detects the wrong key and thinks it's pressed even tho I'm not pressing it.

And sometimes it just won't detect a key press.

this usually happens when lot of keys are pressed at the same time.

Any ideas why or if this is in fact the right place to post this?

Warm regards
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

What kind of MIDI adapter are you using to connect the Yamaha to your computer?
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
scareware47

Post by scareware47 »

I got it off Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07CFX7G54/ ... vFb6CAW0G3

didn't have any issues with other apps like flowkey.

I wasn't pressing any keys at this time.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10b-Dn7 ... p=drivesdk
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

scareware47 wrote: 09-06-20 2:23 pm Keyboard: Yahama P125 over midi
So you are using a USB cable from your keyboard, not a MIDI cable with a round connector? If so, I'll have to defer to someone else. I have no experience with USB connections from keyboards.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

scareware47 wrote: 09-06-20 6:55 pm... didn't have any issues with other apps like flowkey.
As far as I know, Flowkey uses your iPad's microphone, not a MIDI connection.

Notes randomly appearing and/or being skipped is usually a communication problem. It could be caused by anything from a poor quality USB cable (or one that travels too close to a power cable) to that third-party adapter missing some of the messages. If it were me, the first thing I'd try (after trying a couple other USB cables) would be to switch to the official Apple Lightning to USB Camera Adapter.
scareware47

Post by scareware47 »

flowkey can use both midi and microphone.

I tried apple's usb to oth adaptor. still have the same problem with stuck keys and can't see some key presses.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I finally got a chance to try this on iOS 14 with an older Yamaha P-70 using the E-MU Xmidi Tab adapter but wasn't able to get any keys to stick.

Things to double-check: running data cables near sources of interference (power cables, cell phones, etc.) can cause bits to be misread, which could cause the kinds of things you're seeing. And as the length of the cable increases, the likelihood of errors does, too. (Once, I had to get a better shielded cable for my 3D printer because I had it pretty far away from the computer and it kept getting bad data.)

Does any of that seem applicable?
scareware47

Post by scareware47 »

I tried with different adapters and cables with smaller cable lengths, couldn't get it working sadly. My final workaround was to connect it to my macbook over usbc and then share the screen with the iPad wirelessly. More or less the same experience with using the apple pencil as a mouse. it all works fine on the Mac OS.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Since this post, we've heard from a few others with a similar problem and the common denominator seems to be iOS 14. Apple completely upended and rewrote their MIDI API (for the impending MIDI 2.0 standard) and it seems to still have some bugs. I'm still investigating work-arounds, but now we know it's not just a one-off, adapter-related problem.