iOS unlock issue on iPAD Air 3

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
hacamatic

Post by hacamatic »

Hello Nicholas,

Thanks for the wonderful app. We recently discovered it and my daughter loves playing the piano with it.

I tried unlocking the app so we can access all the songs and import midi files. The transaction seemed like it went through, I entered in my password, it confirmed my payment details and under the Unlock Synthesia tab, it displays "Communicating with the App Store..." but then nothing happens. It is just stuck on that message.

I don't think I was actually charged since I have not received an email receipt from Apple. I tried deleting the app and re-installing it. When I click "Unlock now for only $7.99" it just displays "Communicating with the App Store..." and nothing happens. I tried clicking "Restore Purchase" and get the following message "There was a problem purchasing or restoring. (Leave this screen and return to try again.)

The app version is 10.6.5425. We are running iOS 13.6 on an iPAD Air 3. Please advise. We would really love to support this app and use the import midi files features.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, sorry for the trouble.

It has probably been five years since the last time I heard that particular error loop described. Back then, I vaguely recall it had something to do with the iPad itself being logged in with one Apple ID while the store-specific login in the Settings app was using a different one.

That was many versions of iOS ago, though, and we haven't heard about it in years and years, so I would have expected Apple fixed the problem in the meantime.

Other times we've heard similar, unexpected/inexplicable problems that were close to this it was something like an expired credit card on the account that just needed to be updated.

Have you had any trouble with in-app purchases in other apps?
hacamatic

Post by hacamatic »

Hi Nicholas,

Thank you for the information. I was able to figure out a workaround. I suspected based on the information you provided, that the issue was because my daughter's Apple ID logged on the iPAD is part of my Family Share and the payment details are from my account.

I tried logging out of her account and log in to my Apple ID on her iPAD to unlock the app. Unfortunately, that didn't work either. I have another iPAD where my Apple ID is logged in and downloaded the app there and was able to successfully unlock it. I was then able to download the app onto my daughter's iPAD while logged into my Apple ID and restore the purchase. I logged out of my ID and back into my daughter's and the app still works and is unlocked. Hope this helps someone else if they are running into similar issues.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, as a general workaround for these sorts of strange corner cases (like Apple not allowing in-app purchases to work through Family Sharing), we've left the ability to unlock/restore with one account, sign out, sign in as someone else, all without the app doing any validation or re-locking afterward.

I'm happy to hear you were able to get things working!