iOS - Can’t connect KORG MicroKey (61)

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Blitheness

Post by Blitheness »

Hi,

Trying to connect korg microkey bluetooth LE 61-key keyboard to Synthesia on my iPad (iOS 14).

It connects just fine to GarageBand, but fails to connect to Synthesia.

Does anyone have any suggestions/please can this be looked into?

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are you pairing it using the Bluetooth section of the Settings app? Or are you using the little pop-up dialog right inside the Synthesia app (Settings --> Bluetooth Settings)?

It usually doesn't work with "normal" pairing. But it should work using the in-app dialog.
Blitheness

Post by Blitheness »

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for the response. This is being done in the Synthesia app itself, rather than the 'Settings' app.

Best,
Andy
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I just tried on iPadOS 14.0.1 (using the current, from-the-app-store, official version of Synthesia) with a Yamaha MD-BT01 (connected to a Yamaha P-70) and this still worked. When I first tapped the Bluetooth Settings button I got a prompt asking if I wanted to allow the app permission to use Bluetooth devices. I consented. The device was in the list. I tapped it. The status changed from "Not connected" to a little spinner. After a couple seconds it changed to "Connected". I tapped Done in the top-left corner to go back. Then it appeared in both of the input/output lists and I was able to enable and configure it in both.

Afterward, I swiped Synthesia closed and opened GarageBand. In its own Bluetooth connection list it showed up as already being connected. I disconnected and reconnected just to be sure. I recorded some notes there through the digital piano just fine. So it worked there, too.

But then I switched back to Synthesia. I could still receive input over Bluetooth, but Synthesia could no longer send output to the keyboard. Even after swiping GarageBand closed. Disconnecting and trying to reconnect would just show the spinner for ~5 seconds before going back to "Not connected".

The only way I was able to find before Synthesia could connect again was a full power cycle of the iPad. Afterward, the Bluetooth Settings pop-up dialog worked the same way it did in my first paragraph.

What are you seeing and at which point in the process does it diverge from what I'm seeing? Thanks!