Trouble getting my keyboard to work properly.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
arkanis

Post by arkanis »

Hi, I'm trying to get a keyboard working with a Windows 10 Tablet. The tablet is a Toughpad FZ-Q1. The keyboard is a Yamaha P-35, and the adapter is a M-Audio Midisport Uno. I picked it up from a Long & McQuade so I thought it wouldn't be a cheap one. This is the same adapter: https://www.amazon.ca/M-Audio-USB-Midis ... 7JRBM?th=1

Synthesia version 10.7.5567. There is a webcam built into the tablet, but I don't believe it is logitech.

The problem I'm having is that the first key I press is picked up, but never released, and after that it only picks up one key for every few of them I press, and again they never release.

Is this a bad adapter? Maybe the adapter is underpowered by my USB port? Does anyone have any insight troubleshooting this?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

arkanis wrote: 04-23-21 3:20 pm... the first key I press is picked up, but never released, and after that it only picks up one key for every few of them I press, and again they never release.
How strange. I'd be curious to see what the data stream looks like through something like MIDI-OX. (Also: brief instructions.)

The Midisport Uno is usually a reasonable adapter that doesn't cause trouble and Yamaha is one of the most reliable brands for having perfectly-standard MIDI, which makes this even more curious.

This might be one of those voodoo things: are there any punctures in the shielding along any part of the cable? Does it run right alongside a power cable? Have you tried a different USB port, etc.?
arkanis

Post by arkanis »

here's how I have it plugged in. I don't see any damage to the cord. The Midi Out light never comes on, I'm not sure if that indicates anything useful. There is no other USB port to try on the tablet, but I have tried my desktop and had the exact same problem.

I've never used MIDI-OX, I'll see if I can figure it out and get some more data.
arkanis

Post by arkanis »

Here is a video of Midi Ox. Clearly not all of the data is actually being sent out from the adapter. Excuse my terrible sense of timing trying to play. :anxious:

https://streamable.com/k9gj34

I am trying to get in touch with M-Audio, as this clearly isn't a problem with Synthesia itself. I'm still happy for any help though.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I would agree with your assessment: there is absolutely some data going missing between they keyboard and the computer. Now it's just a matter of narrowing down which link in the chain is failing. From fifteen years of hearing about MIDI trouble from thousands of Synthesia users, I can report that it's the keyboard's fault in something like 3% of cases. The rest of the time it's the adapter causing the trouble. So contacting the M-Audio folks seems like the correct next step.

I'd be curious to hear what you find out. Often--unless it really is just run of the mill faulty hardware--the solution can be generalized to help others, too, so I like to gather as many answers as I can.