App hangs when restarted on non-primary display

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
dudester

Post by dudester »

On Windows 10, if I open the app and it opens on my primary display it is fine. If I move it to a second monitor, it runs fine, but when I exit and restart, the window opens over on the correct/second display, however, it hangs and never draws any of the components within the main window.

Any interaction has windows reporting "Not Responding" and I force it to terminate.

If I edit the settings.xml, I see:

<setting key="Graphics.MonitorRectangle">1920,0,3840,1080</setting>

and if I reset it to:

<setting key="Graphics.MonitorRectangle">0,0,1920,1080</setting>

Then launch the app, it will display on my primary monitor and operator normally.
I've done with process many many times and it is consistent for me.

It seems like there must be something afoot with using the graphics settings when the app is closed when positioned off the primary monitor.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, strange. I vaguely recall hearing this same report a couple years ago, but I can't seem to find any record of the bug being fixed or recorded.

If you can, try to catch it in its hung state on the second monitor, open Task Manager, right-click on Synthesia in the list, "Create dump file", and then get the resulting .dmp file to us somehow. (It can be rather large, but zipping it first usually takes it down to about 1/4 the size. Sharing it via some cloud drive would be ideal, but our support@synthesiagame.com mailbox should be able to accept an attachment that large otherwise.)

That would let me see exactly where it's getting hung up. Thanks!
dudester

Post by dudester »

Email sent.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Thanks for sending that along.

Would you happen to have an app called Nahimic installed? (From the looks of it, it may be part of the "Alienware Sound Center".)

The hang appears to be in NahimicOSD.dll somehow, even though Synthesia doesn't use or know what that is. (I'm guessing "OSD" stands for "on-screen display" in this case.) The way most on-screen displays work is by registering window "hooks" with the OS to intercept the work an app is already doing in order to draw on top of it. In this case, Nahimic appears to have a bug that makes the entire app hang.