Separation between clefs

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
otykarol

Post by otykarol »

Hello,

I have a question regarding using Synthesia with music sheets display:
Is there a way to increase the separation between bass and treble clefs? Or any other way to make it not overlap each other?

Upper notes on the bass clef overlap the bottom notes on the treble clef - and that makes reading the sheet much more difficult.
I attach screenshot, as an example - just to note: Synthesia is properly recognizing left and right hand notes. It seems to be just a matter of displaying the sheet.

All the best,
Karol
Attachments
1.png
1.png (328.93 KiB) Viewed 2411 times
tommai78101

Post by tommai78101 »

I had this happen to some other MIDIs where they require the left hands to play higher octaves than normal for most of the songs.

I know there is this new indentation on the treble clef, called the higher octave treble clef, in which the middle C is now at C5 and not at the usual C4 position on the piano:

Before, it's usually denoted with a treble clef and a "8va", but now it's just 1 big music notation symbol. It is one of those things that would appear in modern piano sheet music. It helps to make the notes on the piano sheet more readable while you're shifting your hands around on the piano. Also, the bottom bass clef is now a treble clef, because the whole piano sheet has been shifted up by 1 octave.

If Synthesia can allow the users to add an octave offset to the piano sheet display, or allow the bottom bass clef to turn into a treble clef, that would be wonderful.
Hardware Information: Dell Alienware 15 R4, Intel Core i7-8750H @ 2.20GHz / 2.21 GHz, 16GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 2070 / Nvidia GTX 1060 dual-GPU, Roland FP-10, MIDI-OX + LoopMIDI combo.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

As we begin using the musical information available in MusicXML files (which we just added support for at least loading in Synthesia 10.8), both of these should come along automatically.

The MusicXML file will be authored to have the left-hand notes on the bottom staff so Synthesia will show them there. And if a song calls for an Octave Clef, it will be shown correctly.

(Sorry for the wait in the meantime! The list is starting to move again, so it's only a matter of time.)
otykarol

Post by otykarol »

Thank you for your work - I'm eagerly waiting for an update :)
thedealman

Post by thedealman »

Nicholas wrote: 11-22-21 10:47 am As we begin using the musical information available in MusicXML files (which we just added support for at least loading in Synthesia 10.8), both of these should come along automatically.

The MusicXML file will be authored to have the left-hand notes on the bottom staff so Synthesia will show them there. And if a song calls for an Octave Clef, it will be shown correctly.

(Sorry for the wait in the meantime! The list is starting to move again, so it's only a matter of time.)
Hello I think I’m having a similar issue. I have a bunch of midi lessons and the right hand is on midi channel 1, left hand on midi channel 2. Yet when I go to practice the midi, It’s all shoved on the bass clef. Can we force right hand to treble clef and left hand to bass clef?

I’m on the latest iPad version. Picture attached.
Attachments
6CE31192-2972-4032-AF92-D581720D4B51.jpeg
6CE31192-2972-4032-AF92-D581720D4B51.jpeg (2.29 MiB) Viewed 1648 times
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yep, this is the same problem. And getting notes to appear on the correct staff (indicated in a MusicXML file) is the final feature at the top of the to-do list before Synthesia 10.9 goes out the door.

For your purposes (with lots of MIDI lessons), it should be as easy as opening a file in one of the competent free editors (like MuseScore) and simply re-saving it as a MusicXML file. Those apps are better at staff selection than Synthesia is, so they should be able to encode it the right way (which a quick glance at their sheet music should be able to confirm).

So, I'm sorry in the meantime but I'm happy that we're just about to finally have a workaround for this problem.