Notes play before key is pressed with light up option

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
spineblaze

Post by spineblaze »

I'm really hoping this is a known issue! When I play a song on on my keyboard WITHOUT the light up option turned on in Synthesia, it works great.

However, when I turn on the lighted key option so I can see which key to press on the keyboard, the note plays (very softly) when the key lights up. Then when I press the key, it plays the note (normal volume) and then moves to the next note.

So I get a doubling of all the notes, which is very distracting. Is this a known issue? Can I fix it in the settings somewhere? I'm using the Android app.

Thanks!

(this one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R7G8SRZ/)
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

This symptom happened on another keyboard, discussed in the following thread: Synthesia and Schubert Etude 450 USB

Summary:

In MIDI, you can change the volume of a note using "velocity" or using "volume".

When Synthesia sends a note for lighting up a key, it sends the minimum velocity. But Synthesia doesn't change the volume, it is whatever your keyboard uses by default.

On most keyboards, the minimum velocity won't be audible. But maybe the minimum velocity is audible on your keyboard?

To help experiment with velocity and volume, I made an HTML and JavaScript page that can send a test MIDI note.

In that thread, user stepheric worked around the issue on a Schubert Etude 450 USB keyboard by sending a test note with minimum velocity and minimum volume, and then also adjusting the volume control on the keyboard a little lower. User stepheric reported this got the "light up" note to no longer be audible.
spineblaze

Post by spineblaze »

Thanks Bavi_H, that info is helpful. It's not a solution (I'm using Synthesia on an android), but at least I have some ideas for a work around.

Here's hoping Synthesia will update the program with a fix.

Thanks
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

If you turn off "My Notes" on the Settings screen for your output device, that should get rid of the double notes.

For the quiet but audible key light notes, there will be a new setting in the upcoming Synthesia 10.9 update that should hopefully solve that problem (by sending a "Channel Volume = 0" message to the key light channel).