No Input with Yamaha P-115 and Ipad Pro 2020

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Gnappuraz

Post by Gnappuraz »

Hi all, I'm having issues connecting a yamaha p115 to an IpadPro 2020.
I'm connecting it with a USB cable through an official Apple Multiport adapter.
The piano doesn't show in the input screen, unfortunately, but downloading a MIDI debugger from the store (MIDI Wrench) shows inputs being correctly received by the device. Another app (flowkey) also works without any further setup.
Any suggestions on what could be the issue and how to address it?
Thank you!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, how curious. Did you mean this adapter?

I've never seen that one. (Once you confirm it's that model, I'll order one to test against.) Although, I can't imagine any reason why it wouldn't show up in Synthesia if it's showing up in another CoreMIDI app like MIDI Wrench correctly. (FlowKey is a special case because it can also use the microphone as an input device, which circumvents any need for a correctly working MIDI input device.)

Is this a case of one app taking control of the device and continuing to run in the background? The best way to rule anything like that out is to start Synthesia first after powering the iPad off and then back on. (Even in 2022, that still seems to clean up a surprising amount of strange hardware states that the iPad can find itself in.)
Gnappuraz

Post by Gnappuraz »

Yes, that's the adapter, confirmed :)
I tried to restart the device and it actually worked :) much appreciated Nicholas.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That's great news, I'm happy to hear you're back up and running.

I wish I had a better answer in general to flakey hardware connections. After all these years it really does feel like it should be a solved problem. I remember needing to restart the iPad 1 (when it first came out in 2012) in order to convince it to connect to a keyboard again.

Oh well. Please let me know if you run into any other trouble.
almar12

Post by almar12 »

Out of curiousity, does your MIDI output work with the iPad pro 2020?

I have a Yamaha YDP-163 and use iPad pro 2020 but for some reason midi output is inconsistent it only sends some notes from the iPad to the piano. Was wondering if you experience the same issue? Haven't found a solution for 2 years now.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10188