Free play duplicate notes issue.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi guys, I'm a recent purchaser of Synthesia and this is my first post.
I wonder if any of you have ever seem this problem before or perhaps know how to fix it.
When ever I play a key in free play mode the note rises from the bottom of the screen like it should.
However it's always duplicated on the screen one octave higher.
If I play a single "C" the caption will say "C with perfect octave" with two "C"s on the screen an octave apart.
Obviously this renders free play mode unusable and is driving me nuts.
Everything else works just as it should as far as I'm aware.
It's got me beat so over to you guys.

Windows 10
Synthesia version 10.8.5686
Yamaha PSR E463
Bavi_H

Post by Bavi_H »

Perhaps one of the extra functions on your keyboard is enabled and sending the extra note? I took a quick look at the Yamaha PSR-E463 manuals and here are some possible ideas:

In the Data List document, the Voice List shows several voices with Octave in the name (Octave Piano, Octave Harpsicord, Octave Jazz Guitar, Octave Strings, and so on). If your keyboard is set to one of those voices, pressing one key might be sending two notes an octave apart.

Is the "Dual" function turned on? The Dual function will sound two different instrument sounds when you press one key. (See Owner's Manual page 20 or 55.) In the function menu, it looks like you can change the octave shift of the main voice and dual voice separately (see Owner's Manual page 67). So if Dual is on, pressing one key might be sending two notes an octive apart.

(In fact, in the Data List document Voice List, most of the voices with "Octave" in the name have a footnote that says those voices turn on the Dual function, so those Octave voices appear to be using the Dual function to work.)
Paul

Post by Paul »

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
I'll look into what you suggest, it sounds promising.
I'll report back later as to how it went.
Thanks again.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hi Bavi_H, You were spot on with your diagnosis.
I tried several voices and while some work perfectly many showed various types of odd behaviour.
Anyway the problem is now solved
While I've had the PSR E463 for some time it's only now that I've recently retired I have the time to use it.
I guess me sitting down and reading through the manual will be time well spent
Thanks again.