Video Creator song export bug I have found

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

I exported a MIDI song in the Video Creator as usual, but I found a bug regarding song exporting. If you change the instruments of the song in Synthesia (example would be an all Distortion Guitar song to something like String Ensemble), when the song is exported from the Video Creator, the songs instruments despite being saved in Synthesia are being reverted to whatever they were before you changed them, which shouldn't happen. The Video Creator is designed to export the song with the musical instruments you chose. But the songs instruments are instead reverted upon exporting the songs audio, and are not saved in the Creator nor updated.

In addition to this, larger DLS files may cause the audio to cut out.

The OS I use is macOS Monterey running on Apple Silicon M1. (12.5.1), with 16GB RAM, so its able to handle things well.

Synthesia's version is 10.8.5687

Video Creator version is 10.4.4395

I felt this was worth reporting to you so it would then be fixed. Is there going to be Silicon support for the Video Creator?

I think there should be SF2 support for the Video Creator. That would increase the gamut of sounds we can use rather than just being stuck with DLS, which never took off that much.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The current (old) 2014 version of the video creator suffers from many limitations. The synth in particular is the old Sonivox synth (designed for 2000's-era feature phone MIDI ringtones) with many of its own problems.

When it's time to update it (after the current list), the plan is to integrate the tool right into the main Synthesia app. So right on the song options screen, just before you'd normally play it yourself, there will be an extra button to export a video instead. Once that's integrated we can use the newer (much higher quality) BASSMIDI-based synth that is built into the more modern versions of Synthesia.

And, because it'll be built into the main Synthesia app--which already has Apple Silicon support--it will naturally include that as well.
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

Wow. So it uses what was the ringtone system from the primitive Nokia phones of old? :lol:

If the Video Creator is merged into Synthesia (which it will be eventually I expect), won't it also allow us to export songs in WAV and OGG as the current old one does?

The BASSMIDI synth has support for SF2 files. I once ran a MIDI file through an exe of the program through WINE on an old Intel Mac, and it does work, and support SF2 files, at least I think. While it's really fast and responsive like FluidSynth, it doesn't allow you to stop playback.

Synthesia also has a small chance of crashing with no error message in the game when changing instruments, although this is rare. I remember 9.0 always crashing.
Chompy

Post by Chompy »

Oops, forgot to mention that won't we be able to preview our video/audio before exporting when the Video Creator is merged and updated? Because that would be a good feature for us. :idea:
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Chompy wrote: 08-28-22 10:28 am... won't it also allow us to export songs in WAV and OGG as the current old one does?
Yes, the audio-only options will still be around.
Chompy wrote: 08-28-22 10:28 amThe BASSMIDI synth has support for SF2 files...
This is an unfortunate naming situation. The BASS and BASSMIDI that I'm talking about are software development libraries made by Ian at Un4seen Developments. The BASSMIDI you're talking about is just some app made by someone using those libraries. They really should have picked a different name to avoid confusion.

While Un4seen's library knows how to handle SF2 files, Synthesia won't necessarily have as many or the same limitations as the BASSMIDI app.
Chompy wrote: 08-28-22 10:28 amSynthesia also has a small chance of crashing with no error message in the game when changing instruments, although this is rare. I remember 9.0 always crashing.
This is news to me. If you experience this crash anymore, please let me know.
Chompy wrote: 08-28-22 10:30 am... won't we be able to preview our video/audio before exporting when the Video Creator is merged and updated?
You'll be able to preview it by clicking the "Watch and Listen Only" button! :lol: