Need help with MIDI-keyboard latency issue

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
hollow14

Post by hollow14 »

Greetings!

I am using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 audio interface and an M-Audio KeyRig 49 MIDI-keyboard. For some reason there's a noticeable latency when using Synthesia, I'd say around 60-70 ms or so. At the same buffer size settings I get less than 10 in any DAW. Is there any way to fix this? Otherwise it's kind of tough playing a rhythm-based game with such high input latency.

Thanks!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

What are you using for MIDI output in Synthesia (on the Settings screen in the Music Output list)?

Our built-in synth only knows how to use plain Win32 MMIO (which can be very slow compared to something like ASIO). The audio library we use under the hood actually has support for WASAPI and ASIO, and they're both something I'd like to test relatively soon.

In the meantime, for the high-end hardware situation, usually the best answer is to use your DAW as the output device! If you install one of the free virtual MIDI drivers (like LoopBe1 or loopMIDI), you can route Synthesia's output to your DAW's input and use it to play things back as fast as it normally can.
hollow14

Post by hollow14 »

Thanks for the help! That works. I'll be waiting for the ASIO Output option in the upcoming versions of Synthesia.