Synthesia & McCarthy Music Piano

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
bgfthunter

Post by bgfthunter »

Hi,

Has anyone tested the McCarthy Music Illuminating Piano with Synthesia?

I am able to get a used one but was wondering if it would work with the Synthesia software? The McCarthy Music Illuminating Piano has the ability to light up different colors so I am also wondering if synthesia can trigger these different colors when playing?

No longer available but here is a picture of it ( I am buying a used one ) : https://www.zzounds.com/item--MCAILLUMPIANO

Link to McCarthy Music site: http://www.mccarthypiano.com/support/helparchive.aspx
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, I vaguely recall being contacted by the McCarthy folks just as their Kickstarter was wrapping up... but I can't seem to be able to dredge up that email now.

Synthesia can emit extra information for lighted keyboards (which finger and/or which hand a note belongs to) but the device needs to be away of that scheme to take advantage of it. I don't believe the McCarthy had any special Synthesia-awareness, so while the lights will most likely work using one of the generic communication schemes, you almost certainly won't get any specific colors to indicate anything. (As a device that's already discontinued and out of support by a company that no longer exists, I'd try to steer clear of it, too.)

There are a few devices that use Synthesia's additional information. They're mostly separate light strips that you can add to the top of the keys after-the-fact, but I believe someone has reverse engineered the protocol used by NI's Komplete Kontrol to interface it with Synthesia's extended finger hint information.