Cheap keyboard

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
squeakypants

Post by squeakypants »

I've been looking around, and these are the best deals I've found.
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Casio-CTK-7 ... 1320572.gc
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-PSR- ... 1177442.gc
Both are $99 and free shipping, or I might just pick it up.

Which one do you suggest? I'm leaning towards the Casio because it has a USB port, but I've always heard Yamaha is the best. Is there anywhere I can get a MIDI->USB adapter or cable for cheap? Obviously my price range doesn't go that high... Why are MIDI controllers so expensive? I mean, they're more expensive than portable keyboards, and have less keys! Is it simply because there isn't competition? I mean, even a suspension pedal is $30 at the very cheapest, and I know they get much more expensive, but why? I mean, it's just some cheap plastic, a hinge, a spring, a contact, and a wire!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Either one of those are probably good. I've also heard Yamaha is usually the best, though. (Also, beware the Casio USB if you use a Mac... Casio don't support them.) The real decision you have to make is how long you think it will be before you outgrow 61 keys. If you are getting it just to dabble and you don't have any other plans, it should be fine. But, if you're looking to learn to play any substantial pieces, you'll probably wish you spent a little more on something larger.

I've tried about three different MIDI-to-USB adapters. A couple of them only worked with some combination of keyboards and OS's that I tried them with. The one I link to on the recommended keyboards page is both the cheapest I've found (about $25) and it works in every combination I've tried (every combination of WinXP, WinVista, OS X against 3 different keyboards). It was also cool in that you didn't even need to install the driver on any of them. It auto-detected as a MIDI device in each OS and just worked.

As far as I can tell, MIDI controllers are expensive because of how fully they support MIDI recording. The keys are weighted nicely (even if it's only one or two octaves). The $100-price-range keyboards out there don't feel like pianos at all, while a $200 or $300 MIDI controller that is maybe only two octaves will have a very natural weight to it. It will also support "aftertouch", have several knobs and wheels that are all assignable in professional gear, and in general will support more inputs, outputs, and the like. It's really just a combination of many small things.