Endless notes

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 09-03-10 2:23 am

I have very many midi's from a game who share the problem:
There are notes that are played far longer than they actually are. The Option in the Options-Menu to discard those does no change.

Steps to Reproduce the problem:
Just try out the attached midi and choose "Flute" as "You play".
Attachments
Pokemon - Rubin & Saphir - Littleroot Town.mid
(11.19 KiB) Downloaded 1076 times

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 09-03-10 7:42 pm

Thanks for the report. I can reproduce the problem. And the same issue isn't showing in another MIDI program I have, so I'm guessing it's my fault.

I'll report here when I get a chance to see what's going wrong and fix it. Thanks again!

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 09-14-10 2:05 am

Okay, now that you think you have the bug fixed, please try the same song with Honkey Tonk, Brass Section and Flute as You Play and try it in Practice Mode. Are there endless notes? Yes!
Another Bug/feature Request/whatever is that if you try it in Rhythm Mode you have to press the same key at the same milisecond twice. This is obviously impossible and should be fixed.
In other words, one should be able to simulate keypresses to more than one instrument at the same time with the same key (so that it is possible to play MIDI tracks which are overlapping each other or even are the same).

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 09-19-10 5:38 pm

Typhlosion wrote:Are there endless notes? Yes!
I can reproduce it. I'll try to see what's going on.
Typhlosion wrote:... if you try it in Rhythm Mode you have to press the same key at the same millisecond twice.
Hmm, I wonder if I reintroduced that recently. It used to press all notes for that key at the same time... I think.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 09-20-10 4:18 am

Nicholas wrote: Hmm, I wonder if I reintroduced that recently. It used to press all notes for that key at the same time... I think.
Apparently not. At least I have never seen it working yet. If I play this song with the settings from above in Rhythm Mode, it is not working. I could make a video of it but I think you already now what I mean.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 10-07-10 7:43 am

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-07-10 11:49 am

Yeah, I ran out of time to fix it in 0.7.5. This is an isolated problem, right? I've only seen it in this MIDI. I'm planning to have this fixed in the first 0.8.0 preview.

The other problem you had (notes skipped in practice mode, concurrent chords or not) should be fixed as of r1100.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 10-07-10 12:41 pm

No, you can get this problem in every MIDI where you have two instruments playing the same note at the sime time as You Play.
Attachments
Song1.mid
Sample File
(437 Bytes) Downloaded 462 times

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-20-10 1:41 am

Alright, I (finally) tracked this down. Sorry for the wait. The fix will be in the next (>r1125) dev preview that goes out.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 10-25-10 9:57 am

Thank you very much!
It would be cool if you fix those two problems:
1. Even though I hit the correct key, the "Extra notes"-Counter goes up by one.
2. In Rhythm-Mode I am still not able to play more than one track at the same note (at the same time).
Also, it could be that the piano got a bit silent, but maybe that's just an acoustic illusion...

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-25-10 12:19 pm

Typhlosion wrote:1. Even though I hit the correct key, the "Extra notes"-Counter goes up by one.
Did you mean the missed note counter? Or is it really registering as extra? That would be really weird. I'll check it out.
Typhlosion wrote:2. In Rhythm-Mode I am still not able to play more than one track at the same note (at the same time).
Yeah, if this was happening before (which was already a bug I thought I fixed years ago) it will still be happening. The way I fixed it didn't affect the way incoming notes are interpreted (just that a note-off should turn off all currently sounding "Played by You" notes).

I'll take a look at both of these. Definitely not for 0.8.0, but probably around 0.8.1 time.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 01-28-11 4:27 pm

I hope that you did not forget to fix those problems. I am still not able to get better than a C+ in this song even if I make no mistakes at all.

DC64

Post by DC64 » 01-28-11 7:19 pm

Well maby the maker who had wrote the midi for those instruments used a piano sustain pedal.
If you maby use a midi keyboard with 2-3 damper pedals then that is how you could get higher that a C+.
"And now for something completely different."

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 01-29-11 1:52 am

No. The problem is that there is two times the same note at the same time on a different track. So, if you press the right key it seems as if one of those tracks thinks that you should not have pressed that key. It's definitely a bug. It is impossible to get a B or even an A with the above mentioned configuration!

DC64

Post by DC64 » 01-29-11 10:45 am

:shock:
"And now for something completely different."

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 01-31-11 8:24 pm

(For reference, I'm tracking this as item #126.)

One of the trickier parts of this bug is the situation where you have rapid notes in a trill or arpeggio pattern. Say you have to play three very short notes in a row, rapidly: a C, D, and another C. If the notes are short enough and close enough they might count as a "chord" to Synthesia (because it doesn't know any better and has to have some tolerance for poorly quantized songs). In that case, pressing the first C might count for both the first and third notes. Then, when you actually hit the third note correctly, it would count as incorrect and break your combo, etc.

Maybe one way to do it is allow a single user input event to count for exactly one note per track, but no more than one for the same track. That would handle that case above pretty nicely.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 10-26-11 12:26 pm

Still not fixed sadly.
Did you forget this?

I imagine that the fix can't be hard anymore. It counts Extra notes correctly in Rythm Practice mode, so why not in Melody mode?

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 10-26-11 4:58 pm

Typhlosion wrote:Did you forget this?
Nope, it's still issue #126 in my tracker. Just haven't gotten to it yet. It isn't scheduled for the 0.8.2, .3 or 0.9.0 releases.

Typhlosion

Post by Typhlosion » 10-27-11 5:34 am

Why not? I think it must be very easy to implement now, as it is already completely working in Performance mode.
Only the error counter in Practice Mode is wrong, why not just copy it from Rythm mode then?