Tutorial: Near zero latency MIDI output on Windows

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
jeanluc

Post by jeanluc »

Thanks, it worked well with my noname 7€ midi to usb cable.
Chistabo

Post by Chistabo »

Like, Flattr, whatever you wish. You are the MAN!

I tried this with my own equipment:
- Behringer UMX 610 MIDI keyboard
- Music Creator 6 Touch (Cakewalk)
- Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB interface
- LoopBe1 Internal MIDI

UMX610 is connected to Scarlett 2i4 via MIDI cable, and is not (UMX610) connected directly to computer (via USB).

The steps provided are valid for any equipment one might use. The DAW must be running along Synthesia.

Thankfully I have found this topic before I ordered PianoBox MIDI sound module.

Thank you again,

Best regards,

Simon
S love nia
Simon
S love nia
StabbedBadger

Post by StabbedBadger »

Just created an account to say thanks for the guide. With the help of this I managed to get Synthesia working flawlessly through Propellerhead's Reason 7, which has much better sounding pianos than in FL Studio IMO.

If anyone's interested in how to do the same, please let me know and I'll write up a small tutorial on how to go about using Reason 7.

SB
zapt0

Post by zapt0 »

I'm having problems with this guide. I keep getting error from LoopBE1 that there is "midi loopback" and it mutes itself...

I have tried following the tutorial but i keep getting the message and then the audio mutes itself.

I have done the following:

In FL Studio:
MIDI Input: LoopBE

In Synthesia:
Audio in: My synth (A-PRO 800)
Audio out: LoopBE

What am I doing wrong? Help!
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I would double-check that FL isn't also sending its output to LoopBe. That would cause a feedback loop, which would lead to it muting itself. Otherwise it looks like everything should be set up correctly.
zapt0

Post by zapt0 »

Nicholas wrote:I would double-check that FL isn't also sending its output to LoopBe. That would cause a feedback loop, which would lead to it muting itself. Otherwise it looks like everything should be set up correctly.
Thanks, I uninstalled everything then configured as I wrote one post up and it works now, no more feedback. Now I can finally use the beautiful Alicias Keys piano in Synthesia :)
Baggins

Post by Baggins »

Help me please :'(
Synthesia: Input:Keystation 88es Output: LoopBe
Flustudio: Input:LoopBe
Synthesia shows that it is receiving from the keyboard, but there's just no sound from FLstudio, there is also no error message appearing to tell me what's up, and I don't believe that my output is set to LoopBe either
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Double-check that LoopBe hasn't muted itself. If you ever accidentally connect the input to the output (making an infinite loop), even for just one second while events are being sent, LoopBe mutes itself to prevent the infinite feedback.

Right-click the system tray icon and make sure that "Mute" doesn't have a check mark next to it.