Crashes while opening unexisting song

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Everytime I open Synthesia to play something, I usually search it in the searchbar. If I type fast, then Synthesia opens the last opened song for some reason. So I go back, then I type the song again, slowly, and again it goes to that song. So I close Synthesia. Then I type in a song that doesn't exist in the library, then I pressed the red cross in the searchbar then I typed again something... Then Synthesia stopped working and left a *.dmp.
So here te dumpfile:
Synthesia-r1488 crash report.dmp
(379.79 KiB) Downloaded 166 times
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

I read in the dumpfile:

Code: Select all

Exception Code: 0xC0000005
Exception Information: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
So I ran it as administrator. I noticed the problem occures less than when ran when non-administrator.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

It looks like the crash is happening in BassMIDI. See if you can reproduce it when you're using the built-in Windows synth (and post that minidump too, if you can).
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nope. When I mash some, this problem occurs also on Microsoft GS. But it's strange Synthesia just opens a song while no [Enter] command was given.
Edit Synthesia didn't place a new dumpfile on my desktop.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

aria1121 wrote:Everytime I open Synthesia to play something, I usually search it in the searchbar. If I type fast, then Synthesia opens the last opened song for some reason.
This is actually a known issue, by the way. If between the time a song switches over to "Loading..." (but before it completes and goes back to "Continue") you are able to manipulate the song library such that you can get the list down to exactly one item, it won't always load the new one when the first song finishes loading.

I was wondering if I was the only one that had seen this because in my debug versions things load substantially slower (5+ seconds for a complex song :D )
aria1121 wrote:Nope. When I mash some, this problem occurs also on Microsoft GS. But it's strange Synthesia just opens a song while no [Enter] command was given.
Edit Synthesia didn't place a new dumpfile on my desktop.
This sounds like it might be some device reset race condition. That no minidump is generated is really strange though. If it's an unhandled exception -- regardless of which thread it's on -- it should still be writing one of those out. :?

I'll make note of both of those problems (I'm not sure I've ever formally recorded the typing-too-fast loading bug), but I don't have solutions for either one yet.
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

And if I hold the [Windows] button, in the searchbox appear these: [

Edit It's really annoying because even if I type slow it crashes sometimes, and it never leaves a *.dmp on the desktop.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Is the crash something that has always happened? Why are you just mentioning it now? Is it new with 0.8.2?

(Otherwise, I'll fix that Windows key thing. I can reproduce that and it shouldn't be causing any search box characters.)
aria1121

Post by aria1121 »

Nicholas wrote:Why are you just mentioning it now? Is it new with 0.8.2?
It is happening for a while... I think 0.8.2, yes, don't know exactly.