Have to play third note after a very little delay

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
stepancheg

Post by stepancheg »

Hi. I have a bugreport about Synthesia.

I have a MIDI file. This MIDI file has (at certain moment) three notes to be played at the same time.

Synthesia displays these three notes on the sheet as they should be played at the same moment, but it expect two of notes to be player first, and third note after a little delay.

Screenshot of inconsistent behavior:

http://screencast.com/t/SUonbOyPRayE

Seems like there is an inconsistency between sheet display and a part that confirms that keys are pressed properly.

The worst thing about current Synthesia behavior is that I cannot press three keys simultaneously, because if I press three keys, then after very little delay Synthesia pauses and expects from me to press third key, that I just pressed.

Problem MIDI file: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1084711/Pachelb ... in%20D.mid

Version of Synthesia is 0.8.3 on MacOS X.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, MIDI is a lot more permissive than sheet music. I'm not sure there is a notation (outside of using two notes joined with a tie where one has a ton of flags and there is like a 64th rest at the start) in sheet music that could express that. I'd like to think of it as less of a bug and more that the falling notes are more precise. :D

Really, the sheet music is showing the author's intent (I'm guessing), but the author of the MIDI recorded it live using their keyboard. Then they didn't quantize it when they were finished. So it still has the little human timing errors included.

You can use a free MIDI editor like MuseScore or Anvil Studio to quantize it. In MuseScore I was able to fix it by doing the following:
  1. Drag the MIDI into MuseScore.
  2. Set the longest note to 32nd (in the dialog that pops up).
  3. Re-saved it as a MusicXML file (and closed the MIDI).
  4. Opened the MusicXML version of the song.
  5. Re-saved it as a MIDI (with a different name).
The new MIDI had all the notes lined up just right.