Notes are hanging when I skip the fireworks

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).
  • If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
  • If you have a Logitech webcam and can't get your keyboard/adapter to work, see this post.
sourcerer

Post by sourcerer » 11-08-13 4:57 pm

When I skip the fireworks by clicking on another training session, while the fireworks is still running, Synthesia 9.0.2495 does not send turn-off signal to the keyboard to turn the notes off, so the notes are fading out, and some keys are blocked (Yahama PSR-500 keyboard).
Workaround: Unpower the keyboard and power it up again.
Solution: Please send a All-Notes-Off MIDI event (123) to the keyboard, when I click on the overview page to start a training session, to turn off any remaining notes from the fireworks.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 11-09-13 4:39 am

Hmm. Those notes should be getting turned off. Try changing the "Music Device Resets" option to "Hard" in the Advanced section of Settings. Does that solve the problem?

sourcerer

Post by sourcerer » 11-10-13 4:15 pm

I had tried to switch to hard, but that does not help either.
I also thought about disabling the fireworks, but it's quite motivating for me and my family to see progress, so I don't want to loose it.
I had the problem with Synthesia 8.6 too.
I developed a small application that sends the 123 MIDI code, which successfully works to reset the keyboard after a firework:
http://www2.futureware.at/~philipp/Synthesia/reset.pl
I even thought about enhancing it to be a MIDI filter application, which detects the MIDI event from the fireworks, and automatically sends the 123 afterwards, but then I thought it's easier to fix it within Synthesia itself.

Nicholas

Post by Nicholas » 11-11-13 4:46 am

Hmm, alright. Instead of relying on the "Device Reset" message that should be taking care of it, I'll correct the problem the right way (sending individual Note Off's for each open note) in the next release of Synthesia. That will definitely fix it.

sourcerer

Post by sourcerer » 04-12-15 8:01 am

Thanks a lot, it works great with the new versions!