4075 produces blank screen

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
rumpole

Post by rumpole »

Hi Nicholas,

1: Cannot load r4075, although set up registers as being a successfully loaded and integrated program;

2: Blank blue screen is produced with top and bottom taskbars shown (top bar shows 4075);

3: Blank screen occurs with or without loading Microsoft Dirext X.

4: Have just reinstalled a fresh copy of win 7 ultimate, but left out direct x on purpose, as a previous download incorporated Dirext X which produced the same blank screen;

5: My win 7 is bog standard, and nothing untoward shows up running it, with or without Direct X;

6: "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family is the standard win 7 inclusion, and an Internet search for an update shows driver is negative;

7: All of this has occurred since changing the formula recently. The old 3942 still works brilliantly;

Your assistance would be appreciated,

Rumpole
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

After trying to start 4075 once, if you check the log (hold Shift while starting Synthesia a second time to open the config window, click "Open Data Folder", look inside log.txt), do you see any warnings in there? Something along the lines of "Couldn't load X OpenGL function(s)."?

One of the new requirements for 10.3 is that it requires OpenGL 2.1 support. (DirectX support has been removed completely.) Your hardware sounds like it falls on this Intel page on the first line of "Older Graphics Products", which only states OpenGL 2.0 compatibility. So that might explain the blank screen. (The strange part is that Synthesia checks for at least 2.1 at startup and won't even continue if the hardware doesn't report at least that. So it sounds like you're making it past that check at least.)

That said, looking at the differences between 2.0 and 2.1, Synthesia could probably make do with only having 2.0. My goal with the new requirements change was to get as much new technology as possible without obsoleting anyone that had remotely new hardware. While OpenGL 2.1 was ratified 10 years ago, it looks like your graphics hardware had its last driver update only 4 years ago, reaching end of support just earlier this year. If possible, that is still a class of hardware that I'd like to maintain compatibility with.

Let me know what you find out in the log.