Williams Allegro 88 Keyboard, Will not play notes.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Cassie119300

Post by Cassie119300 »

Hello, so as i've read ( much too late on my part) there are well known issues with the generic/cheaper end midi connectors which I happen to have. I read a few other posts regarding the same piano as mine. For some people it worked switching the midi in/out cables. Well here's the weird thing, My computer recognizes it, it is labeled midi 2.0 and shows up fine, it installed. When I go to settings to press the keys to adjust them to the keyboard, nothing happens. I switched the in/out cables in various ways all to no avail. On the midi out I did test sound, and it seemed that when the in was put on the "in" slot on the keyboard sounds were playing through my piano. There is a feature on my piano where you press C#3 and it turns the piano board off from playing sound so it may be used as a controller which I tried also with no luck. Any other ideas? At this point I know I have to purchase the emu midi chord, but I was just wondering since the midi chord is showing on synthesia and my computer... if this by chance was one of the working ones and i've perhaps got something backwards. I don't know if this helps any but on the chord the only light that's lit is a red one.. that doesn't seem to blink change or anything. My computer is windows 7 and I have the newest version of synthesia.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

If you don't get blinking when notes are being sent, then you either have things plugged in wrong, your keyboard configured to not send notes, and/or you a particularly bad MIDI cable. The usual problems with the no-name cables from hell are erratic behaviors. It will show up looking like a perfectly proper cable on the configuration screens.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
Cassie119300

Post by Cassie119300 »

Yeah I'm thinking it is probably the cable itself, as i've tried both modes with my piano for midi and switched the cables around. I will try seeing if there's an option to reset the keyboard and buy the emu cable and see if that fixes it.
Cassie119300

Post by Cassie119300 »

Update: Problem is definately the cord. When plugging in the cord into the midi in slot on my piano... the lights started flashing to green and whatnot when it was barely even touching the slot, after that it goes straight to red. When i did this.. it set the range to 1 note.. so the problem is indeed just the cord.