Graphics scale override

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Danby

Post by Danby »

I'm trying to run on an older Dell machine with an Intel Q43 chipset. I have the latest drivers from Intel, and Synthesia runs, but the resolution is all wrong. The program can only fit 9 white keys on the screen, and all the note blocks are stacked up in the drop zone.
Researching, I found how to open the configuration screen but the graphics options don't help. The one that seems like it should is Graphics.ScaleOverride. If I set this to a positive integer, it makes the problem worse. If I set it to a fractional or negative number it seems to have no effect.
What's a reasonable value to set this option to?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Hmm, the ScaleOverride setting is to toggle between "Retina" (or HiDPI) mode. The only two useful values are 1 (if your screen is set to HiDPI and you don't want Synthesia to be) or 2 (if your screen is standard DPI but you want Synthesia to behave otherwise).

When you say "the resolution is all wrong", what do you mean? Synthesia tries to use whatever your current desktop resolution is without changing the video mode. (Technically it's running in a window. You can hit Alt-Enter to add a window frame so you can resize it.)

While a song is playing, if you click the little magnifying glass at the top-right corner and choose "All 88" from the list, does that improve the display at all?
Danby

Post by Danby »

This is what I mean by the resolution is wrong. I've attached a snapshot. This approximately fills the screen (I set it to windowed mode to use the snipping tool)
The resolution of the monitor is 720P (1360x768), not great, but it should be better than this!
Thanks for the explanation of the overridescale option. Setting it to 1 produces the same effect, setting it to 2 makes it worse, so that the buttons don't even fit on the screen and get overwritten on the right hand side.
Attachments
reduced in size for smaller upload
reduced in size for smaller upload
Synthesia resolution.PNG (102.07 KiB) Viewed 2522 times
Danby

Post by Danby »

While a song is playing, if you click the little magnifying glass at the top-right corner and choose "All 88" from the list, does that improve the display at all?
Missed that on the first read.

Yes, this resolves the problem entirely.

Thank you.