Dual Screen Mac - GUI messed up

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
GRGLHRGL

Post by GRGLHRGL »

I am running Mac OS X 10.12.4 on a Mac Book pro Retina 13" 2015 with a Thunderbolt display. When I run Synthesia on the Thunderbolt display the UI is not usable and messed up. When I move the window to the built-in Retina it works. So the application is usable but there is still a bug I think. I am running 10.3.4077.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

When you say "not usable and messed up", do you just mean that everything is super large? Or are there other problems?

In the meantime, to use the app on the non-Retina screen, you can right-click the app in Finder, go to "Show Info", and tick the "Open in Low Resolution" box.
registrationsucks

Post by registrationsucks »

I see there is a workaround, however, is there a bug or intended "to be fixed in X release" in the issue tracker for this?
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

We still need to look into possible solutions. Adding support for on-the-fly changing between different display scales (when dragging between monitors) breaks a core assumption in a lot of the under-the-hood graphics code. Updating all of that infrastructure is probably out of the question, but there might be some signal we can send to macOS to describe "hey, we're showing things in Retina, but please half-size the window on low-res displays". That's the part that I'm not sure is a feature in macOS. (Going in the other direction: if Synthesia can find any low-resolution displays, it could simply opt to show in non-Retina mode all the time. Although, that feels a bit like a punishment for most Retina Mac users with secondary monitors.)
wetdirtmud

Post by wetdirtmud »

I'm experiencing the same problem. This was working fine until I upgraded from 10.2 to 10.4

The Get Info -> Low Resolution workaround works well enough for me.

on 1920x1080 HDMI monitor:
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.32.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.32.19 PM.png (41.03 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
on MBP Retina display:
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.32.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-24 at 7.32.34 PM.png (217.85 KiB) Viewed 4885 times
benjaminck

Post by benjaminck »

This bug has still not been fixed and it is a showstopper for my desired setup.

Could you just add an advanced setting to turn off UI doubling?

Here's a video of me demonstrating the bug:

[youtube=MLvOgUjG2OA][/youtube]
https://youtu.be/MLvOgUjG2OA
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

The "Open in Low Resolution" solution mentioned in the 2nd post should fix that.