Note duration / length error.

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
Slwoly

Post by Slwoly »

Hi.

Something is wrong with the note length / scale.

First right hand note should be the same length as 2nd right hand note.
http://imgur.com/NkFzca1

Same midi file loaded in MuseScore 2
http://imgur.com/YxyFd62

Midi file used
http://www.mutopiaproject.org/ftp/BurgmullerJFF/O100/25EF-02/25EF-02.mid

/Slwoly

Edit:
Looks the same in 10.3.4096 and preview-11.0.4264
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Are you sure those screenshots are from that MIDI file? When I just played that song, I saw very different results. The sheet music looks different, the notes are the correct note duration, the right hand part starts in measure 3 instead of 4, the left hand is legato instead of all staccato, etc.

To double-check, you can right click the file right in Explorer and choose "Open with Synthesia". That will circumvent the song list inside the app.
Slwoly

Post by Slwoly »

I might be wrong, let me double check. Downloaded the midi over a month ago and did a search for the filename, remembered the page and thought it was the one. Reporting back in a few minutes.

Edit: Ok, this is embarrassing. It's not the same midi. I wonder if I might have edited it in MuseScore 2, or found another. Since the midi I linked is incorrect (doesn't play left hand staccato).

This is the midi file on my computer.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0GzpWoIVd06Z0xLYkNqcHUxYVk/view?usp=sharing
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That link is to a file that is byte-for-byte identical with the first one you linked. :lol:
Slwoly

Post by Slwoly »

/facepalm

Sorry for wasting your time. Pretty sure I found the right monstrosity now. So first of, ignore that screenshot of musescore posted in OP, the correct filename is burgmulleropus100n02.mid and this is where I found it http://classicalmidi.co.uk/music2/burgmulleropus100n02.MID. Now I call it monstrosity cause it looks nasty in MuseScore, and from what I can tell it's also wrong and synthesia seems to render it exactly as it's written.

If I make a clean version in musescore useing this source:
Editor Adolf Ruthardt (1849-1934)
Publisher Info. Leipzig: C.F. Peters, n.d.(ca.1903). Plate 8906.
Reissue - Frankfurt: Edition Peters, n.d.(after 1950).
Copyright: Public Domain

Would that be something I could donate to synthesia
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Donating pieces for inclusion in Synthesia is an interesting idea. (This is helped by my fondness for that particular Burgmüller piece we've been talking about.)

I wonder if after Synthesia 11 goes out, we shouldn't try to start a project where the community can help fill out the repertoire included with the app with beautifully arranged MusicXML versions of public domain works. This seems like something I should add to the task list! :D
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

How would this differ from the MIDI Club area of the Forum? Except maybe to be called MusicXML Club.
Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Slwoly wrote:If I make a clean version in musescore using this source:
Editor Adolf Ruthardt (1849-1934)
Publisher Info. Leipzig: C.F. Peters, n.d.(ca.1903). Plate 8906.
Reissue - Frankfurt: Edition Peters, n.d.(after 1950).
Copyright: Public Domain

Would that be something I could donate to synthesia
If the "Reissue - Frankfurt: Edition Peters" explicitly says "Public Domain", then you are in the clear to make a MusicXML transcription and do with it whatever you want.

If the "Reissue - Frankfurt: Edition Peters" does not have a copyright notice, which I'm guessing it doesn't since you don't have the publication date, then you probably are OK. You need to check German law and you need to establish the year of publication to be more sure.

If the Reissue is a facsimile of the 1903 edition, then you probably are OK no matter what they claim about copyright. But you need to check German law to be more sure.

And if you think this is much more complicated than it ought to be, I couldn't agree with you more.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

jimhenry wrote:How would this differ from the MIDI Club area of the Forum? Except maybe to be called MusicXML Club.
The MIDI Club is about sharing (copyright-permissable) files with other users. The exchange is 1-to-1 (or however many people stumble onto that section of the forum).

The thing I just described would be a submission process to actually get these things included as part of the built-in collection of songs distributed with the app. That is 1-to-everyone.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:The thing I just described would be a submission process to actually get these things included as part of the built-in collection of songs distributed with the app. That is 1-to-everyone.
Might it be better to start a submission process for accepting things into the Synthesia Song Store? Allow submitters to monetize their contributions if they want? If the submitter submits it as a free song, you could later decide to add it to the library included with the app.
Jim Henry
cmplays

Post by cmplays »

Nicholas wrote:Donating pieces for inclusion in Synthesia is an interesting idea. (This is helped by my fondness for that particular Burgmüller piece we've been talking about.)

I wonder if after Synthesia 11 goes out, we shouldn't try to start a project where the community can help fill out the repertoire included with the app with beautifully arranged MusicXML versions of public domain works. This seems like something I should add to the task list! :D
Only if the difficulty level of user submitted pieces can be evaluated according to a common standard. As a total beginner, I would find it extremely frustrating to be unable to play something I want and not even know if I simply need to practice harder or it's basically beyond my level.
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Regarding song store submissions: we've gotten a handful of requests along those lines from music arrangers that were hoping to feature their work in the store. The answer I've been giving is that after arduously navigating the crazy copyright legal web to discover what feels like a right answer for distributing appropriately-licensed works, I'm hesitant to dive back into those murky waters to find out how to extend things to third-party arrangements.

Worse than that, the infrastructure/service part of that work (extra record keeping, running the payouts each month, collecting W-9's for business taxes, etc.) sounds like miserable drudgery. The less I have to do of that stuff (and even the less we have to work with service providers that try to handle that stuff), the better.

What I had in mind was more the model for the five new, popular game-related songs that made it into the 10.3 release. In both cases (the five songs originally came from two games) it was a matter of getting in touch with the owners of the work, asking "hey, some of our users are the same as your users and we think they'd really enjoy your songs inside Synthesia; we'll make sure they're playable by everyone right in the free download", and getting written consent. The easiest business deals are the ones where money doesn't change hands in any direction! :lol:
cmplays wrote:Only if the difficulty level of user submitted pieces can be evaluated according to a common standard...
This is an excellent point. Right now the songs in the store technically meet that requirement, except the "common standard" in this case is "the opinion of our internal music arranger". That's not a very general-purpose solution, unfortunately. :D

Since this effort would target the popular classical works, I wonder if we wouldn't be able to find any guidance from the "Levels" assembled by the various musical authorities. Using the same Burgmuller's Arabesque that we've been talking about, it appears to be classified as both "IMTA Level B2" and "ABRSM Grade 2 A4". (Here is a random YouTube video with an interesting list in its description demonstrating a great collection of different pieces at standardized difficulty levels.)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:arduously navigating the crazy copyright legal web
Sadly, not having money change hands and sticking with old classical works doesn't completely free you from the copyright web. It makes it pretty unlikely that anyone is going to come after you. But not impossible.

Maybe you should look at the MuseScore OpenScore project.
Jim Henry
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I understand there is always a danger. (Simply operating a business incurs the danger that any of ten thousand patent trolls could materialize at any moment.)

Otherwise, the OpenScore project sounds like exactly what I had in mind (right down to the submitted scores being available as MusicXML). I hope it is a successful project.
Slwoly

Post by Slwoly »

Burgmüller - Etude Opus 100 no 2 Arabesque.zip
(80.88 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
Here's my edit of the Burgmüller Etude Op. 100 No. 2 - Arabesque. Tried to eliminate any errors by cross examining the score / listening to it. But bear in mind that it's the first time I've used any notation software. If you see any errors please don't hesitate to contact me and I'll correct it.

Nicholas: Please feel free to add this as a free addition to synthesia. If you want a written/signed contract of me waivering any economical claim please contact me by PM or email.

/Slwoly
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

That is a complete package of a nice arrangement! We'll add that as a free (to everyone, even in trial mode) song in the final Synthesia 11 release. It'll be interesting to see what the new code will be able to do with the MusicXML version that MuseScore is able to produce. Hopefully it will look as nice as the PDF you included.