Audio Stutter/Jitter

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
yologan

Post by yologan »

I keep getting audio stutter/jitter after playing for 5 minutes or so and I have to restart my computer and relaunch synthesia in order to play for another 5 minutes stutter-free. My build is fairly strong(specs below) and has no problem playing FPS games at 60fps so I can't figure out why it's choking on Synthesia. I also record with Studio One 3 occasionally and have never experienced any stutter. Would love to resolve this rather than have to get a refund but as is this is unplayable. Thanks in advance for any help!

GPU - AMD RX 480
Windows 10 (64 bit)
RAM - 16 GB
CPU Type - Intel i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz
Midi controller - Nektar Impact61
Synth - VirtualMIDISynth
Synthfont - FluidR3_GM
Audio Output device - Roland Duo-Capture EX
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Does the stuttering happen if you switch back to the built-in Windows synth?
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Try monitoring Synthesia CPU usage and check it without Recording programs. Maybe you have similar problem (Sound trembles and CPU usage increases 14 times with Fraps)
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Try also increasing the VirtualMIDISynth buffer from 0ms to 10ms. This helped in my case. 5ms wasn't always enough, as very occasionally when a lot of voices were active at the same time, rare stuttering could be noticed.