Score not showing notes on correct treble or bass clef !

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
nickc

Post by nickc »

Hi, I have just purchased Synthesia and am amazed with what it can do.

This morning I purchased my first track from the Synthesia Song Store (Bruno Mars When I was your man) and the score is very realistic. I plan to use the product with the score option switched on to begin learning to read music, but even though the channels are correctly distinguishing between left and right hand notes, all the notes appear on the bass clef which is not correct and harder to read than if it was separated into treble/bass.

Can this be improved please, it should be easy to put left handed noted into Treble Clef and right in Bass ? Or is there a setting somewhere to allow it to split - I can't find one. Please could the core display be improved...I believe the notes are correct but just in the wrong place (didn't Eric Morecombe say that !)

Has anybody else come across this ?

Thanks very much,
Nick
eFse7en

Post by eFse7en »

Hi,

When you select a song, you have a button to configure hands and instruments.
There you can see multiple midi tracks and you can decide whether each one should be visible, with what color, whether you want to play it with left hand/right hand/played by synthesia/custom or if you want to mute it.
If you want to have one track customized differently than just for left hand or right hand or played by synthesia, you can select "custom" setting and decide how to split them and even change behavior for individual notes.
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Jim Henry
Author of the Miditzer, a free virtual theatre pipe organ
http://www.Miditzer.org/
nickc

Post by nickc »

Hi Jim,
Thanks very much for your reply. I have been playing with this and can see how this can be adjusted. Also I think to be fair the music is mainly in the bass clef range as well, but I did think it should display some in the treble clef. I have attached a sample image, do you disagree ? I'm afraid I am not very good at reading music so perhaps this is how it should be scored.

But I have bought another piece of music and can see both clefs as I would expect, phew !

Really enjoying this piece of software, the ability to wait until you get the right chords is streets above other programs...

Thanks again,
Nick
Attachments
Synthesia Clef Issue.jpg
Synthesia Clef Issue.jpg (265.38 KiB) Viewed 10008 times
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

You are right. The sheet music display should probably look more like this:
Synthesia example-1.png
Synthesia example-1.png (22.49 KiB) Viewed 10003 times
I have suggested to Nicholas in another topic that the hand splitting information be used to direct right hand notes to the treble clef and left hand notes to the bass clef. That would allow a sheet music display like what I have above to be created from the MIDI file plus the .synthesia file. There are plenty of examples where that wouldn't work so well, but I think that would improve more sheet music displays from MIDI files than it would hurt.
Jim Henry
nickc

Post by nickc »

HI Jim,
YEs that's certainly more like what I was expecting, this seems far more natural.

NIcholas, could this be addressed please ?

Thanks very much both,
Nick
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

Yeah, explicitly defined hand-split information from MusicXML files is coming in Synthesia 11.

Using the in-app hand-split data to improve the sheet music for MIDI files is also an idea I really like. I have a suspicion that it's going to shake out almost automatically during the Synthesia 11 work and we'll get it for "free". If not, it's still something on the list to do eventually. (Although, at that point, "use a song in MusicXML format" is a much stronger/better answer anyway.)
jimhenry

Post by jimhenry »

Nicholas wrote:"use a song in MusicXML format" is a much stronger/better answer
But not a more realistic answer. I will be stunned if the users who complain about "Score not showing notes on correct treble or bass clef" are in a position to rework a MIDI file into a MusicXML file.

While I really want support for MusicXML files, I could buy the argument that using Synthesia's hand-split data to assign staves for sheet music display of MIDI files is more important. Doubly so because this affects songs you sell but can only provide as MIDI files.
Jim Henry
nickc

Post by nickc »

Hi Nicholas,
Thanks, like Jim I do see addressing the current MIDI files is very important especially as you sell some, or perhaps they already be split correctly into the correct staves ? Good to hear you will looking at it and appreciate your hard work so far.

Thanks both
Nick
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

nickc wrote:... or perhaps they already be split correctly into the correct staves ?
The songs in our music store suffer the same limitations as all MIDI files, unfortunately. They'll get the same quality bump as every other song, when it happens.
nickc

Post by nickc »

Hello,
I was just wondering out of interest where we are with this issue please ?

I believe it may be 'fixed for free' as part of other V11 work, but when approx would this be released please, this may be perhaps years away as 10.4 hasn't been officially released yet...

As mentioned above this is a really important issue and makes the score sheet completely useless if the notes are not in the correct clef - I do understand that the software would not know this, but the ability to assign notes to the correct clef would be useful. At least we could use the hand splitter to do this, so surely it would not be too much work as the splitting has already been incorporated. Even if v11 did become available soon it would take a while to convert/re-release midi filess as XML.

I am only a beginner but wanted to use the software to be able to read sheet music or at least refer to it whilst playing.

Many thanks and I do appreciate your hard work, honest !

Nick
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

This is still coming in Synthesia 11, which is still the primary focus. (10.4 is out the door now and was just a snapshot of all the little things we've fixed/added around the cracks of the primary Synthesia 11 work.)
nickc

Post by nickc »

Great thanks for the update. Any ideas when the full v11 will be released - non beta version ??
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

No date yet. Keep an eye on the Development Updates section of the forum.