Periodically losing progress

Trouble with Synthesia, your keyboard, or adapter? Think you found a bug?
When describing problems, always mention your OS and game version (shown at the bottom of the title screen).

If your keyboard has USB or MIDI ports, there is a tremendously high chance (>99%) it will work with Synthesia. See what you'll need on the keyboards page.
DrCBVI

Post by DrCBVI »

Hi there,

I'm using Synthesia 10.3.4096 on Windows 10 and I'm running into a problem where periodically (roughly once a month) my progress data will reset to an earlier state.

This often coincides with unexpected resets or not closing Synthesia manually (Windows updates not waiting for anyone...), but is quite frustrating.

It's happened again today, resetting my data back to about 22nd June. Is there anyway to restore the progress data, or have it save more regularly / in a more permenant way, so that unexpected shutdowns don't erase tonnes of data?

Cheers,
DrCBVI
Nicholas

Post by Nicholas »

I am very sorry for the data loss!

This sounds like a bug that we've been tracking down for a (very!) long time. You're the first user we've heard from in years that has been able to provide any extra details ("roughly once a month", "unexpected resets", etc.)

We've known it's rare and haven't been able to reproduce it ourselves in the entire history of the project. (I've had a sneaking suspicion it was caused by unintended/unexpected/abrupt exits like those caused by a dead laptop battery or overzealous Windows Update.) So, in the meantime we've been taking stabs in the dark to try and fix things.

One (awful) workaround is to manually backup your data periodically. If you hold your Shift key while launching Synthesia, it should show the configuration window. Click "Open Data Folder". As long as those files are saved someplace else, you can always drop them back in the same folder later to restore that exact state.

In the meantime, we've taken another stab in the dark in the most recent Synthesia 11 development preview release. (Info here and this is useful, too.)

That one holds the Synthesia.exe process open for an extra second or so after it writes the data to disk, in the hopes that the extra time will be enough to let things flush to the disk before Windows shuts down. If you could give it a shot, it would be useful to hear whether the problem still happened with the new version. Thanks!
DrCBVI

Post by DrCBVI »

Thakns for the quick response, I'll give the preview release a shot and test to see if that works when the next Windows Update comes crashing through the door. :)